Author Topic: Kit Cheese, Tablet Rennet - No Coagulation  (Read 5123 times)

masha1

Kit Cheese, Tablet Rennet - No Coagulation
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
Hi there,
Last weekend I used a commercial kit and made my first cheese. completely followed the receipe and it all worked. This weekend did the same thing but no curds. not even a thickening of the milk. The only difference I can think of is that the first time round I pasturized the milk and this time I didnt. Would this make a difference. I still added the same amount of CaCl and the culture. We have our own jersey cow so milk is not an issue, but Ild sure like to get some cheese happening.  Any ideas please

soleuy

Re: Kit Cheese, Tablet Rennet - No Coagulation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »
Hello!!  If you did  exactly the same, the problem could be the rennet or the  the milk. You could  rule out the first testing it with a small quantity of milk.
In concerned with the milk I've read that if the cow has a mastitis the milk could have  a pH higher than 7 and this inhibits coagulation.

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
What recipe are you following?  Are you absolutely sure that you are following it to the letter?  I had the same experience.  I have been known to miss lines.  I finally figured out that I had omitted the citric acid in a quick mozzarella recipe a couple of times.  Now I print a working copy the recipe and cross off each step as it is completed.

What type of rennet are you using?  How has it been stored? 

masha1

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
Hi thanks for your replies.
I am absolutely sure I followed the receipe. The only thing that is not accurate is the amount of culture as it came in a pre measured pack.
The rennett is tablet form, not sure of make, but is stored in the pantry.
I am really quick to pick up mastitis as the milk get really salty when that occurs and as we are drinking it raw, would be picked up straight away. I also hand milk and am a vet nurse so hopefully Ive got that base covered, but I will try the pH.
Interestingly enough I threw another rennett tablet in making it twice the strength after nothing happened left it over night, I now have curds, not fantastic but formed, so ill press it and see. Will the cheese be any good, who knows. will keep you posted

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
If you keep the rennet in the pantry (at room temp?) that may be your problem. Rennet should be kept cold...you could keep the tablets in the freezer, sealed up. Or in the fridge.

masha1

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:55:39 PM »
thanks, im going to try liquid rennett next time so will be keeping that in the fridge. I didnt know the tablets were the same.
cheers

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »
If you keep the rennet in the pantry (at room temp?) that may be your problem. Rennet should be kept cold...you could keep the tablets in the freezer, sealed up. Or in the fridge.
Actually, tablet rennet is extremely shelf stable and doesn't need refrigeration. Sadly however it is too strong and difficult to measure correctly. I would switch to quality liquid rennet, either vegeterian or veal.

I would also suggest to stay away from pre-measured cultures. I understand it's just a part of the kit but these are typically have mysterious origin and ingredients. They lack documentation and it's not clear how well they have been kept in retail kits that are not refrigerated. Moreover they are insanely expensive when comparing with creamery grade brand-name cultures.

In some cases, either antibiotics in the cow's diet or trace amounts of udder sanitizer or equipment sanitizer can resist the culture. Doesn't effect the rennet so much, but without acidity the coagulation will be weak and slow.

One more thing, not totally related - if you are using your own raw milk, don't add calcium. the calcium is suppose to make up for calcium loss in pasteurization. If you didn't pasteurize - you don't need the calcium. Moreover, you may be overloading the milk with excess calcium which can cause the cheese to be chalky and bitter.  I hope this helps.

masha1

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »
thanks iratherfly, very interesting. I had wondered about the calcium. Ive now started pressing my cheese, so will see how it goes.
Shame we cant have a shared taste test, but I guess the internet is as good as it gets.LLL ;D

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »
Once the seal is broke on the tablet and it is cut...would you not need to refrigerate (sealed) the remaining half? Seems like it would be subject to degradation from  humidity and heat  at that point.

masha1

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »
Yes, I brought some vegetarian rennett on saturday and from 6 litres of fresh milk, i managed an 800gm farmhouse chedder.... yeah im so happy, now to dry and wax it.

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 06:54:12 AM »
That actually sounds like a very decent yield