Author Topic: Port salut type cheese #1  (Read 6915 times)

Spellogue

Port salut type cheese #1
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
I have a port salut approximation ripening in the fridge (I have no proper cave as of yet).  It is a 1 lb. mini wheel I made from Mary Karlin's recipe, substituting raw goat milk.  I added 1/32 tsp b. linens to the milk with the starter cultures.  I've been washing with brine about 3 times a week.  It's at six weeks now.  Half of the wheel has developed a yellowish cast, pretty, but not the orangy-red I would like to see in this sort of washed rind cheese.  I used this same method with a pave yielding good results, more of a brownish b.l. rind with nice spots of wild geo.  that cheese had a rougher bumpy surface in contrast to the port salut's smooth surface.

Should I try innoculating the washing brine for this port salut with a pinch of b.l., or is it too late for this cheese?

Spellogue

Re: Port salut type cheese #1
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »
I did use washing brine inoculated with a pinch of b.l. for about 10 days when I started washing a morbier, treating both cheeses together.  I'm back to using plain 3% brine now and I've taken to leaving the cheeses at room temp for an hour or two at each washing (2-3x/week).  There has been a bit more rind development on the port salut, but it is still sparse, whereas the morbier is starting to take off.  I didn't even add any b.l. In the morbier make like I did with the port salut.  I'm keeping the humidity pretty high 90-95%.  Still wondering why the port salut doesn't want to support a b.l. colony. 

Oddly, I've had b.l. growth show up already on two cheeses where I hadn't planned for it.  One was a semi-soft banon type that used no starter culture and no ripening cultures it turned up a beautiful b.l. cover on the top that started yellow and turned bright orange.  It was delicious.  The other is a goat milk manchego type.  A rather firm cheese it's developing a brownish orange rind that I noticed when I was going to wax it.  Not true to style, but I started washing it since I've had difficulty growing b.l. on the port salut.  They must have picked it up in the ripening box.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
I am just so impressed that you find the time and attention to do the affinage care needed.  That is not easy for me.  Wish my little wine fridge was somewhere more accessible.  I should ponder moving it nearer the kitchen if possible.....  Will you post photos of this cheese? 

Spellogue

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 03:10:15 AM »
Well, here is my port salut at 11 weeks.  The rind is developing, but it did form a break in handling.  I can see that the paste is softening.   It smells wonderful, a little spicy, but somewhat lacks that toe foost aroma I equate with a b.l. washed rind cheese.   Perhaps it is ready to eat.   Will that break in the rind heal?  Or should I take it as a sign that this cheese  should be consumed promptly?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:16 AM »
Wow!  That is an amazing looking cheese!  it looks like a meringue cake or something.  The paste does look quite ripe.  Could you cut it in half and vacuum the other half?  Try some and put some away??  Do post what it tastes like when you try it.

eyepea

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
The break in the rind won't heal. I found my port salut rind used to split similar to yours. I believe is is from ripening in a container. The container is humid, but it collects ammonia because ammonia is denser than air and fills the container. I aged my port salut with the container upside down so the lid is on the bottom so it breaths better and the rind did not crack. I also aged my port salut on wooden shelves now I have good cave and the rind is perfect. I find the same effects for my tilsit as well.

Having said that, you cheese looks quite ripe and ready. It needs to be eaten :)

IP

Spellogue

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
I let this cheese age a tad longer than I might have because I was looking for more color on the rind that would have been characteristic of a Port Salut.  I've got a couple other washed rind cheese using the same b.l. strain coming along nicely with a burnt orange hue.  I'm not sure why this one didn't color up.  It might have been the close quarters and limited air circulation in the ripening box as you suggest.  The aroma was always spicy and pleasant at smearing intervals.  I didn't notice any ammonia scent, but that's not to say it wasn't present at some point.

Nonetheless, we did eat this cheese over a month ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Here are my aging and tasting notes:

Affinage:  9/12. Rind yellowing, but bl not obvious. 9/29 bl still not obvious but rind stickier.  Whiff of blue, fighting back with brine washes.  Leaving at room temp for an hour or so here and there.  10/14 more rind development but still sparse. Cut into cheese 10/27.  Nice mottled orange bl rind.  Developed foosty aroma. Paste was supple yet toothy enough. Softer under rind but not runny.  Left slight sense of powdery mouthfeel.  Sharp on the attack. Moderately pungent, equal to aroma. Very long spicy, meaty finish.  Erica liked it a lot.  Stored other half in aging bag in fridge. 11/2. Consumed remainder of cheese with crudités and pears and a California Meritage. Yummy.

Overall I was quite satisfied with this 1st attempt. I might try it a bit younger next time and I'll work the rind a bit differently now that I've got a bit more experience with washed rinds.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »
I had skimmed over this thread before, but upon taking another peek, I was quite surprised that no one gave you a cheese. So here's a cheese for such a sterling effort. Let's see more washed rind intrigue from you. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Spellogue

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 02:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the cheese, Boofer. 

Its been a while since I've logged in.  But now with three goats in milk so far bringing cheese making  season into full swing here, I'll be checking in more often. 

I've started this season as I usually do with chèvres and cabecous.  They're quick, easy, and highlight the spring milk.  I started a bloomy rind today, a goats milk cam.

More washed rinds will come this summer.  I'll have to dig up some notes and pics of the good ones from last year.

High Altitude

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »
Spellogue...nice port salut!  A cheese from me as well :-).

My 1st port salut is 10 weeks old, and developing molds in every other color but the red I am looking for :-(.  I am very much to blame I'm sure since I left it 10 days along (on vacation) after the 4 bacteria washes.  Came back to a very colorful, fuzzy cheese.  So, most of the mold washed off as soon as I resumed the brine washing, but I want to get some red going! 

You said you did another bacterial wash over 10 days when it was at the 11 week point, right?  Just want to make sure I understood correctly, because I am thinking of doing the same in hopes that another round will bring out the exterior I want. 

p.s., also made Mary Karlin's recipe.

Thanks for any advise you (or anyone) can give.  Right now the cheese is pretty firm all around and I feel like the brine washing is just drying out the surface more and more even though I'm keeping it in a closed container.  The surface never did get "sticky" like I think it should have...hmmm.

Spellogue

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
I had to look back over my notes to be sure, but it was at 11 weeks that I cut into this cheese.  I started the B.L. inoculated wash at about 6 weeks, the same one I was using on a new morbier.   Up to that point I was using straight 3% brine as the wash.   I did slow down on the washes in the last 4 weeks on this cheese because the rind was staying too wet.  If your wheel is still quite sturdy and you are aging for a while longer yet it could benefit from washing with an inoculated brine.  Another thing that helps to strengthen the B.L. growth is using a pinch of fresh salt with the washes.  It will make micro scratches it the rind where linens can more easily get a foothold.  This one was ready to eat at 11 weeks, having become a bit slumpy at that point.  I also got a view of the paste due to the break, indicating I shouldn't wait any longer. The color was light, but the flavor and aroma were finally present.  The slow onset may have been due to ph issues on the cheese surface. (PH too low early on in the aging?)! I used ARN as the linens source.  Wondering now if PLA might have been the better choice on this one.

I was able to form some very nice bl rinds quite quickly on other cheese and now it shows up where I don't expect it, or want it.  Scouring and sterilizing all my aging containers has helped though.  I'll be starting some more washed rinds in a few week.  Right now I'm focusing on bloomies.

High Altitude

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »
Thanks Spellogue.  I'll definitely make another batch of bacterial wash then, and throw in a bit of salt (that should also keep the other green/brown molds at bay, hopefully).  Curious, why did you wait so long to start the initial bacterial washing...at 6 weeks?  Mary Karlin says to start the washing after one week.  Even so, yours did much better than mine did after having followed her directions. 

Also, I left the bacterial wash at room temp (because there were no directions saying to keep it in the fridge).  How did you keep your bacterial wash for the 10 days?

Thanks again for your reply :-)!!

Spellogue

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:23 AM »
I did start washing at one week, but with just 3% brine.  I did a vat innoculation with the ARN.  When it wasn't coloring up at 6 weeks I decided to add a pinch of the ARN to the brine solution for washing.  It seemed to help. 

As for the salt, I would suggest you drop a pinch on the rind when you wash, not suggesting you add extra salt to the brine wash. 

I kept the innoculated brine in a little uncovered bowl next to the cheese.  I use a piece of butter muslin to apply the wash and I leave that I the solution between washes.  When the solution got low I topped it off with more 3% brine, but no additional BL.  I figured it was multiplying in the cloudy wash solution.

My end result didn't look like a storebought Port Salut, but I was happy with the results.

High Altitude

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
Thanks again Spellogue.  Started my (second) b. linen washing schedule this morning.  I'll do 4-5 washes, every other day as directed, this time.  I did understand what you meant about putting salt on the rind to create micro-scratches (since there is already salt in wash), but ended up using a (sanitized) razor blade to scrape off most of the dark mold spots, so I think that left enough "texture" for the red molds to catch hold. 

I will leave the stinky, cloudy b. linen wash at room temp, thanks.  I do keep it covered though (less evaporation) and remove 2 Tbsps to another tiny dish and then wash the cheese with a small piece of cheesecloth.  Really hope this works, and that it looks as good as yours eventually.

I appreciate all your help :-)!!

Spellogue

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 03:55:30 AM »
Yeah, whatever it takes to fight back the blue at first.  Your wash schedule should keep it at bay from there on.  At some point it will take off with some nice BL growth.  I'm sure it will turn out to be an interesting and enjoyable cheese.  Do keep some phot records.  Post a few and your notes on the progress and especially tasting notes once you cut into it.  I just found a photo of the cut cheese from last seasons make.  (I'm not the best cheese photographer.)