Author Topic: cultured goat butter - no break. cream too warm?  (Read 2923 times)

iain

cultured goat butter - no break. cream too warm?
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
I separated the cream from about 3 gallons of goat's milk yesterday and got about 1/2 qt. from it (using a mechanical separator). Added a dash MM100 and let it sit over night at room temp. This morning, stuck it in the fridge for 10 minutes and then put it in the food processor to churn. Things started out ok - turned into a nice heavy whipped cream. After that, though, things just fell apart. The resulting liquid is very loose and kind of greasy, but there are no visible flecks of butter in there - after about 25 minutes of churning. I took the temp of the liquid and I was up to 90 - I assume from the action and heat of the machine.

What went wrong? Is it possible I started with too high a temperature?

mtncheesemaker

Re: cultured goat butter - no break. cream too warm?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
I've never made goat butter but I usually culture cow's cream for 24 hours, then refrigerate it for another 24 hours before churning in a food processor. I wonder if you refrigerate it and try it again it might work.
Sorry, don't really know the answer.

george

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
It also sounds like you may have overchurned it.  I don't culture my cream for butter - I like it sweet - but I know that if I miss the break and keep churning too long I end up with exactly what you described.  Well, there are pieces of butter in it, but very greasy etc.  How long did it take for you to hit the whipped cream stage?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »
For what its worth when I make cow cream butter the cream first thickens then starts to form fat granules THEN becomes smooth and creamy again (at which point I figure that I have overchurned it ) THEN , because I have nothing to lose, I keep churning and it forms fat granules again and clearly separates from the butter milk. Strange.  But is must be cold - ~10oC.  If its too warm then the fat just melts.  NV.