Author Topic: Limburger #2 With Geo  (Read 8423 times)

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
Limburger #2 With Geo
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
This is day 9 for this cheese. I used the Limburger recipe for 200 easy to the letter except I added 1/8 tsp of geo per something I read on another thread here. Sounded good for some unknown reason. Anyhow, the geo is going ape which, I'm only guessing, is a good thing. I've never used geo before (at least as far as I know.)

I used a red b-linen which, if you look closely, is starting to appear. Seems to be on schedule. But I'm wondering if I should be using an orange b-linen instead and what the differences are to taste. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

But I'm now wondering if the GEO is going to overrun the b-linen. Should I do anything to contain it or should I just let it run wild?

Your opinions are highly valued.
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

mtncheesemaker

Re: Limburger #2 With Geo
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
I've only made Limburger one time. I used the recipe from 200 Easy Cheeses book, which did not call for Geo.
Have you started washing/wiping the cheese? I think that will knock back the Geo and encourage the B. linens to grow.
Thanks for the reminder of this cheese. I need to make it again as it was delicious!

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »
Yes, I started washing it on day 7 as per the recipe. It's pinking up now and the geo has firmed up. As I said, the geo addition was from a thread in this forum. I think I might have added too much since the recipe was vague. But it's really cool looking so I think I'll just let it bloom and see what I get. I have two 2# cheeses and I think I'll open one at 60 days and leave the other for 90. I'll put up pictures.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »
Look forward to seeing your results. Mine was a 2# also; FYI I cut it at 6 weeks and it was perfect. My hubby like his cheeses on the very ripe side, so you might want to keep an eye on them!

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
Day 14: The cheese is turning nicely but it has just a hint of an ammonia smell. I took it out of the ripening box and put it right on the shelf thinking it wasn't venting well. I also turned the temp down to 50 from 55 to see if that changes the odor. It's not so strong as to be really bad but I can smell it. Anyhow, it's looking pretty good.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 10:35:11 PM »
Yes, that ammonia is the geo. It may be helpful in tiny quantity here but in large quantity it's too much. This is not supposed to be a mixed-rind cheese. Good job with turning temperature down. You can get it even cooler. The B.Linen will continue to work nicely even at 45°F but the geo will halt.  You can also halt geo with salt and dry conditions but you will also arrest the B.Linens with it.  Limburger by the way is a block cheese and not a round one. It has a strong effect on the ripening of this cheese because it's a surface-ripened cheese, so surface proportions should be as close to the original as possible. It helps

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and figure out some make-shift mold for the next time. The 200 easy book does mention it but she says nothing about its effects. I know the commercial product comes in blocks.

What will the geo do to the flavor if I can keep it from growing?

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:10:12 AM »
Geo brings lots of paste processing, ammonia buildup and acidity changes. It's not going to harm this cheese but if you get it in control it may just push the flavor/texture somewhere a little out of the definition of limburger. Geo is very common and it exists naturally in nature, in your body, in air, plants and raw milk so it's almost impossible to make cheese that doesn't have it. The only question is when does it grow and how much of it. If you get it in control it will be fine.

If it's out of control it will probably intensify the flavor and shorten the peak period of this cheese. This is already a strong cheese so it just doesn't need more geo, but I am sure you will be just fine! The cheese looks good. Just reduce the temperature, keep washing with B.Linen. You will be fine. 

It is possible that after you are done with the wash period and refrigerate or age the cheese, a white fuzz will grow on it. That's just a secondary geo growth (like in Reblochon). Don't worry about this late growth. It will be nice and aromatic to the cheese and won't harm it. (and it looks kind of nice and rustic)

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
You're a great help. I guess the other question I have at this point is whether or not the additional geo will reduce the ripening time from what a traditional make would produce. Amrein-Boyes says it can be ready in 30 days but also can be longer for a more intense flavor. I'm wondering of the geo might make is go runny like a cam.

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
Ahemm... Well, runny cam is NOT a good thing, supple, gooey cam is. Runny cam usually indicates overwhelming ammonia and it's over the hill. Geo would "overcook" it somewhat. It will soften the paste and bring out flavor and texture development, but it's not the same as the texture / flavor / aroma / rind development of B.Linens. B. Linens have a similar effect on the paste, but is also have fascinating aromas, more focused flavor etc. It exposes meaty, sulfuric and nutty-sweet qualities better - but it takes a bit longer to do that and that slow cold ripening in the fridge after the cave stage is done with - that's where it all happens.

So I would say geo would age it faster, but you won't get the qualities you are looking for and your cheese will have a shorter stable shelf time that way before it's too much ammoniated to enjoy. If you accelerate ripening this way it's a bit like trying to cook chicken faster with higher flame; yes, the insides will be all cooked faster but what good is it if you burn the outside in the process... know what I mean?

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »
I truly appreciate your patience with me on this. I took your advice and turned down the temp even further to 45 degrees and the geo development seems as if it it's stopped - or at least the rind is firming up and the b-linens seem to be over-taking the geo. But my questions was really in reference to this particular make. My next make I'll omit the geo for sure (but I really have to try a reblochon now that you have me thinking about it.)

Please correct me if I have this wrong, but it seems your saying that once the rind on a Limburger is developed it's best to wrap it in, say, cheese paper and put it in the fridge to let it age further before it hits its peak. Is that right? I haven't read this anywhere - which is indicative of absolutely nothing.   Would that also be true of brie and cams?

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »
Please correct me if I have this wrong, but it seems your saying that once the rind on a Limburger is developed it's best to wrap it in, say, cheese paper and put it in the fridge to let it age further before it hits its peak. Is that right? I haven't read this anywhere - which is indicative of absolutely nothing.   Would that also be true of brie and cams?
Yes!
It is actually true for all surface ripened cheeses. (though I prefer to transfer Bries and Cams to the fridge in a box and only wrap them when they are 3 weeks old and fully ripe because often early wrapping can suffocate the rind).

There are too many small details that these book recipes overlook ....that's why this forum is so great!  Not to toot my own horn, but compare my Reblochon recipe or at Pav's Tomme recipe to the ones in 200 Easy Cheesemaking Recipes and see if they look anything alike... 

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
Well, that answers a lot and I'll govern myself accordingly. And I think I'll use your Reb recipe this weekend. Thanks again.

iratherfly

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:55:42 AM »
Awesome! Will you keep the forum posted with your Reblochon progress and photos?

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
I will. Let's hope I don't screw it up  :D