Author Topic: Limburger #2 With Geo  (Read 8458 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Limburger #2 With Geo
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
There are too many small details that these book recipes overlook ....that's why this forum is so great!  Not to toot my own horn, but compare my Reblochon recipe or at Pav's Tomme recipe to the ones in 200 Easy Cheesemaking Recipes and see if they look anything alike...
200 Easy Recipes also specifies a thermophilic for the Jarlsberg. It should more properly be a mesophilic. Just another datapoint....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
Another question: This cheese is starting to get soft under the rind. The skin is still intact but I can feel it developing into soft paste. This is day 22 and I'm wondering if the geo I (shouldn't have) added might make me want to move up the date I put into a 38 degree environment. And if I should, I don't have any cheese paper but will in a few days.

Can I wrap it in, say, freezer paper or will that choke it? Or should I just put the whole ripening box in the fridge?
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

bbracken677

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »
One thing I have used in a pinch that seemed to work pretty well was parchment paper with holes punched in it every half inch throughout the paper, and then after wrapping it in that I wrapped the whole thing in wax paper. Just wrap it loosely...

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
You can also refrigerate it in an aging container. You want the low temperature but you also don't want to dry the cheese or suffocate the rind so in lieu of proper paper that should be an easy workaround. Turn it every couple of days in the box if you do that.

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
I opened the first one of these today at 35 days and think I should have waited a few more days. But that said, it really turned out to taste wonderful. It was less creamy in the center than toward the edges but it was still quite creamy. When I took it out of the fridge it had just a whiff of ammonia but that when away as it warmed up to room temperature. Anyhow, it has a smooth texture with a mild attack and a wonderful, yet rather mild, Limburger aftertaste. As a matter of fact, I like it so much I might try this "mistake" again. 

I have a second one of these from the same make that has more B-Linen color and a bit stronger aroma. I'm going to let it ripen for a week or two more and see what happens. But, all-in-all, I'm pretty pleased. I'll let you know what other people have to say about it - both good and bad.

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »
Sounds good!  A cheese to you for your successful result.  Look forward to hearing how the 2nd one turns out.

- Jeff

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I'll post on it and show pics.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM by dbudge55 »

LoftyNotions

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 06:19:51 PM »
That looks beautiful, Dave! A cheese for your cheese.

Larry

iratherfly

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 03:32:29 AM »
Nice going Dave!

Spellogue

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
No mistake... Just a happy accident.  (as Bob Ross would have said.)

I'm glad you are enjoying the results of your experiment.  Looks delicious.