Author Topic: Novice Cheese Making Questions  (Read 4967 times)

strong204

Novice Cheese Making Questions
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:59:06 PM »
Hi, I recently have been researching making cheeses and have been seeing variations in recipes. I'd just like to ask a few questions 1) Can you use skim milk to make cheese? 2) When making cheeses such as cheddar I've noticed that only a started culture is added, is there another culture that should be added? 3) After making the "farmers cheese" when should cultures for a cheese such as brie or a blue cheese be added?

If anyone could help me and maybe provide anymore tips on the intricacies in the cheese crafting process I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance

Cheese Head

Re: Novice Cheese Making Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:55:47 AM »
Hello sting204 and welcome to CheeseForum.org! Good questions and while I'm not a guru I'll try to answer the best I can:

1) Use store bought skim cow's milk, somewhat. No problem with soft cheeses where you will get a low fat version of Neufchatel etc. But for hard, pressed cheeses it is more difficult as the fat in the milk is critcal in forming the texture and body of the cheese, especially ripened cheese like Camenbert. This is the reason most non-fresh cheese making recipes use whole milk, and some even add cream! However some Italian cheeses such as parmesan can be made with skim milk.

2) I haven't made cheddar but my understanding is just the starter culture is the only one.

3) For brie and blue cheeses, the inoculum is added either with the starter or after removal of whey depending on the recipe or inoculum.

From my experience, my suggestion is to start with simpler fresh cheese and work up to harder pressed and eventually blue and camenbert. This is because i) fresh cheeses need little special cheese press type equipment to get going and ii) you don't have the "Cheese Cave" aging control issues of temperature and humidity to deal with. For example, I found the Neuchatel recipe posted here quite easy. In my opinion, making pressed - hard cheese is more complicated and sensitive than making wine or beer as the ripening/maturing process for non-fresh cheeses is out in the open and subject to temperature & humidity issues sometimes resulting in wrong bacteria infection, dry cracking, or airborne mold.

Hope this helps and also that reg and or others have opinions. Good luck, we'd love to hear/see what you choose and how it works out!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:07:33 AM by Cheese Head »

strong204

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:15:47 AM »
Thank you so much, I'll probably start my first project this weekend  :)

reg

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
good morning strong 204. i'm also a rookie but i think CH has given you some pretty good advice with sticking to the fresh cheeses to start with then work your way up to the harder pressed cheeses. 

for the pressed cheeses Ch posted a photo of the home made cheese press we made and if you look at some of the other photos there are some home made 4" forms made from PVC water pipe. very easy to make

good luck with this weekends project.

reg

strong204

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
Thanks :) I also have one more question. When making cheese the starting process is the same (for the most part) for all cheeses, but when you initially heat the milk should it be room temp first?, what is the best method to heat (ex. double boiler), and after the first heating do you keep it at that temp or remove it and put it back on to heat it the second time?

Thanks

reg

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »
strong204. the cheese i made yesterday called for bringing the milk to room temp. i think most cheese recipes call for the milk to be at room temp so that the starter will start to acidify the milk. if the milk was to cold it would inhibit the bacteria from doing its job which is to break down the milk sugar lactose into lactic acid.

lactic acid has many rolls in making cheese including controlling pathogens (the bad bacteria)

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »
string204, half the time I leave the milk out of the fridge still in the jug to let warm to room temp before putting into stockpot to warm on stove to temp in recipe for when add starter culture. The other half the time I just poor the cold milk from the fridge into the stockpot and then with cooker flame set on low, slowly warm the milk to the required temp. Hasn't made a difference for me except when I forget it's warming on the stove and it gets too hot before I remember  :'(. One thing I do try is to buy as fresh a milk as possible.

We don't have and thus I haven't used a double boiler yet. But hopefully the set I just ordered will work as large double boilers. After I've warmed the milk for adding the starter culture I try to keep at that temp rather than letting it cool, until the next temperature point in the recipe.

strong204

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »
Thank you guys so much I think I might be ready  :D