Author Topic: Dry Jack  (Read 9394 times)

anutcanfly

Re: Dry Jack
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:18 AM »
Then give it a go bbracken677!  With some tweaking I'm sure one of us will figure out the right combo of cultures and whatnot for a close knock off.  I'll post again when I can taste Dubliner and mine together.  Hopefully that will suggest some tweaks.

bbracken677

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
It's kind of like a dry, salty sharp cheddar with complex notes from what I remember. There are the salty crystals that form, that are, my understanding, a result of the aging. I think the cheese I had was aged either 3 years, or 5 years...don't really remember, but it was awesome!

anutcanfly

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »
I compared Dubliner with my cheese and they are not as close as I thought.  My cheese is drier and has crunchies.  The flavor is still hard for me to define, but it's not that similar.  The Dubliner was smoother and no real crunchies going on (?).  Flavor is like a mild parmesan.  I remember Dubliner as having crunchies?  I must not have bought the right one.  It doesn't say how long is was aged.  I enjoyed both cheeses but without the crunchies, I think I like mine better!  If you shave off the brown part of the rind the chocolate flavor is gone (thankfully), but the flavor of espresso still persists and adds a subtle touch that is quite appealing.  So some flavor did seep into the exterior of the cheese.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
<<<<I'm going to run this cheese again, but with 2% milk.>>>
Anut:  Why 2% instead of 4%. How do you expect that to change the cheese?
Susan

anutcanfly

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 12:29:23 AM »
I would expect it to be harder and chewier!  I've always enjoyed chewing on rinds so Dry Jack is right up my alley.  I like it with peppercorns even better, but my sweetie can't handle hot spices.  I could find that 2% Dry Jack is not as good as 4% for my tastes, but I won't know that until I try it.  I ran a 2nd Garlic Jack recently but this time I made it harder and developed a rind.  I found that I liked it much better the first time when it was rindless and slightly soft.  Still a tasty cheese either way!  It's fun to tinker with recipes!