Author Topic: Howdy from Nashville!  (Read 2274 times)

ChefMark

Howdy from Nashville!
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
I just want to say hi and this forum is fantastic! I have been perusing the different sections and I am amazed at the amount of information here, as well as the community of cheesemakers.

Proud to be a cheeseforum member, and have been making cheeses for quite a while now, although I have to say that I am a newbie still and look forward to learning more about making good artisan cheeses.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Howdy from Nashville!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 06:26:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum, ChefMark. I look forward to reading and viewing your cheese exploits.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
ChefMark,

I will be participating in the Southern Cheese Festival there in Nashville on October 6 at the Farmer's Market location. If you get a chance, stop by.

Ed
Boone Creek Creamery

www.boonecreekcreamery.com

ChefMark

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
ChefMark,

I will be participating in the Southern Cheese Festival there in Nashville on October 6 at the Farmer's Market location. If you get a chance, stop by.

Ed
Boone Creek Creamery

www.boonecreekcreamery.com

I will be there! Sounds very interesting and tasty!

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum ChefMark!

So what types of cheeses are you making or interested in making?

Happy cheesemaking!

ChefMark

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »
I like cheddars, goudas, edams, parmesan and monterrey jacks. I have tried others, but those are my favorites.

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
Nice.

In my opinion, Parmesans are a bit of a pain just because you need to make permanent room in your cave for them and age them for 18 months...
Gouda and Edam are a little less work than Cheddar, but you can make beautiful examples of  these.
Cheddar is a great cheese to make but you want to age it a bit and acidity control makes or breaks it
Monterrey Jack though, I think is the easier of the bunch to make -and it takes less time to age. Can be aged in as little as one month! (though personally I like them much better at 8 weeks minimum. The sourness is gone and the texture begins to form a soft nice, buttery quality). You can also age them in vacuum bag which is easy and you won't have to worry about moisture control.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »
I like cheddars, goudas, edams, parmesan and monterrey jacks. I have tried others, but those are my favorites.
What, no Tomme?!  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »
What, no Tomme?!  ::)

-Boofer-

YES! The most!  Though ...from the ones ChefMark listed, Monterey Jack is the easiest/fastest. It's really a quick hack for Tomme if you think about it. I always believe that the newer you are to cheesemaking, she shorter-aged cheese you should be making.  Patience builds up, and so is the stock in the cave. At the same time skills needed for long aged cheese are being acquired and there is less temptation to hack into a 3 months cheese 22 days through the process and then be discouraged by a horrible, chalky and sour cheese, not realizing it was heading to greatness ...until you hacked into it.

ChefMark, what do you think?  Tomme is the core make that's probably the most important one to practice if you want to perfect your semi-hard and hard cheeses. Have you made any? Are you interested? It's a very liberal formula and you can make 1,000 different cheeses this way