Author Topic: Working on First Jarlsberg!  (Read 2960 times)

High Altitude

Working on First Jarlsberg!
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:49:37 PM »
Well, let's see how this Jarlsberg recipe goes.  Used Mary Karlin's "Artisan Cheesemaking at Home".  Tried a whey brine for the first time...like it :-).  Don't have a PH meter, but that is a goal of mine one day.  Will take a photo when waxed (yellow of course) and then cut open.  If you don't see it here....check the Wall of Shame!

Today making a Pepperjack using same book "Just Jack" recipe, but substituted Meso II for the Meso III...what could possibly go wrong?!

mjr522

Re: Working on First Jarlsberg!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:59 AM »
Good luck!  I hope they both turn out well.

High Altitude

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »
Thanks Mike...I hope so too!  With 10 makes complete, and all too young to taste, I am apprehensive of course.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:15:08 AM »
Looks like a really good knit on the Jarlsberg.  I'm sure it will turn out very nice.

- Jeff

mjr522

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:17:54 AM »
When do you get to open one up?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
Why are your pics so small? Had to pull out my magnifying glass. ::)
Could you please post at least a 1024x768 in the future?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

High Altitude

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »
Mike - My folks are visiting mid-April so figured I'd open the Farmhouse Cheddar, Colby, Jarlsberg, Pepperjack, maybe the Manchego (that I'm making next week) and Fontina cheese then.  If I get a vacuum food storage system for my birthday, then I can pack away some halves for further aging.  All the cheeses are 2lbs or less, and we are all cheese lovers so can go through most of that easily in the 2.5 weeks they are here!

Sorry Boofer....I was just happy to get these pics from my phone, to my e-mail, to the forum.  Will have to experiment with sizing I guess. 

Here's the Pepperjack I made yesterday.  It is very "tender" because of low weight pressing called for, but knitting is good, so I guess (hope) it's just going to be a really moist cheese.  I have to keep flipping every few hours while it air dries because it starts to bulge a little on the sides as the whey shifts within.  I hope it will start to dry out okay by tomorrow without looking too weird!

mjr522

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »
Opening that many cheeses at once will be exciting!

The pepperjack looks fun.  I've had cheeses that have bulged quite a bit, they still taste good (or they don't...) regardless of how they look.

High Altitude

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 09:25:19 PM »
Okay, that's good to know Mike...whew!  This forum is priceless...someone ought to take all the advise and write (yet another) a cheese book!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »
Sorry Boofer....I was just happy to get these pics from my phone, to my e-mail, to the forum.  Will have to experiment with sizing I guess. 
Got it. I asked that question responding to another of your threads. I will now zip my lip. :-X

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.