Author Topic: My 2nd Tomme  (Read 25379 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My 2nd Tomme
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2012, 11:06:36 PM »
That crazy orange stuff looks like the sulferic-rotting meat smelling radioactive growth I once got on a failed Roquefort, I hope yours smells better :)
You certainly have a way with words, Tomer. :) Not something I'd want in my kitchen.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2012, 06:19:30 AM »
That crazy orange stuff looks like the sulferic-rotting meat smelling radioactive growth I once got on a failed Roquefort, I hope yours smells better :)

I take it you must have got the unpleasant sulferic-rotting meat version?  Mine is the good kind so far ;)

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »
Hi,

This one is still doing quite well.  The rind is a bit dry and crusty, but the aroma is really good.  It's down to 1174g, and 15.5 x 5.9 cm, for a density of 1.06g/cm3.  Pretty good result from 11 litres, as that's just over the expected 10% yield, but I'm pretty sure the milk containers hold more than the stated amount (at least, if I put in 2 litres based upon my measuring cup that's true - hmmm, must try weighing water - but I digress).  Anyway, this one is ready to cut anytime (it's 21 weeks tomorrow), though I've got some other cheese to finish up before I do.  So, it will get to somewhere between 5 and 6 months, which should be optimal. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 01:14:13 AM »
Looking good, Jeff! So many colors!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2013, 04:43:57 AM »
Ok,  so, tomorrow we're having friends over for supper.  My last cheese has been consumed, and the caerphilly won't be ready for another week or two.  So, the washed rind tomme, which is now 157 days (22 weeks + 3 days) has to be cut.  It's at 1158g, 15.5x5.9 cm, for a density of 1.04 g/cm3.

Now, I had to have a wee sample because when I cut into this it just felt so wonderfully smooth and creamy.  Not soft and runny, not dry and hard, but a good semi-hard feel to it.  The mouth feel is very smooth, it's moist but not wet, has a definate b.linens flavour but not too strong.  Ripened to the centre, the rind is not too thick, and basically,  I can't say enough good about this one.  It might have a slight bitterness, but hard to say, it was cold (didn't let it warm up) and it could just have been the attack of the b.linens.  Will see how it does once it warms up.  Even if it is a bit bitter, it's a good result.  Thanks to Pav for sharing this make procedure.  It is definitely worth trying out.  Two tommes up! :)

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
Nice job Jeff!  A cheese for your successful cheesy adventure!

Salut!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »
That's beautiful, Jeff! I love the rind development. Paste does look nice and creamy. Good job, buddy. A cheese for your Tomme awesomeness. :D

And, yes, thanks Pav.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

CWREBEL

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
Absolutely awesome looking cheese Jeff!  I think you achieved what most strive for when developing a natural rind Tomme - looks textbook. Congrats for aging it out so long... couldn't have been easy, but it looks like you were rewarded. Have a cheese!

JeffHamm

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:37 PM »
Thanks everyone.  It's nice when a plan comes together.  I was wondering if it had dried out because it was close to 6 months and never bagged or waxed, etc.  I've been worried that my cheeses would lose too much moisture when left for an extended period like this, but the result of this one tells me that doesn't have to happen.  That opens up the opportunity to age out some other cheeses in natural rinds, like cheddars or even a swiss (an area I haven't explored yet, but will try soon as I now have some PS culture). 

I've got a third one of these on the go now (only about 3 weeks old at the moment) and it's just going to develop a wild rind with no washing this time.  Should develop a completely different flavour.  Yum!

- Jeff

Shazah

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
Hey Jeff, nice looking cheese.  You've inspired me to give this a try.

Did you go to Cheesefest yesterday?  We went along for the 5pm session and tasted some lovely cheeses but I was delighted when my bloke said that my Reblochon was better than anything he tasted there.  (Thanks Yoav) I'm not sure how he rates as a judge but it made me happy.

I have been wondering if there is any interest in Auckland for a gathering of cheeseheads with a view to entering some cheeses next year.  Will start a thread in the NZ page and see what comes of it.

Cheers
Sharon

linuxboy

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »
I've been worried that my cheeses would lose too much moisture when left for an extended period like this,
If you are really worried, let the rind build up for at least 2-3 weeks (longer if possible), and then parakote with PVA. Will give you flavor while retaining more moisture.

JeffHamm

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »
Hi Sharon,

No, didn't make Cheesefest.  My daughter had her violin lesson, and my son goes to bed around 7:00 ish.  There's a few NZ's on the board, and more than a couple from Auckland, so it may be possible to put a group together.  Might be fun.

And thanks for the suggestion linuxboy.  My concern comes mostly from not having really let a cheese sit out for 6 months unbagged or waxed.  Now that I've done one, and it's not a rock, I know my cave is acting as it should so my concerns have diminished.  Hmmm, just re-read parts of this thread and I see I did bag this for awhile.  Will have to recheck my notes on this one to see how long it was bagged.  - back and checked my notes, looks like it was bagged for about a month (Nov 18 - Oct 25).

Anyway, have shared this with people at work and they all give it a strongly positive rating!

- Jeff

P.S. The milk used in this was pasteurized and creamline, with about 4% fat and 3.1 or 3.3 g/100 of protein (silver top for you NZers)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:03:01 PM by JeffHamm »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »
then parakote with PVA.
Same as cream coating?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

linuxboy

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
cream coating
yes.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
cream coating
yes.

Is the PVA mixed with the cream coating or applied before?  Can you say more?