Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer--auto or manual?  (Read 22576 times)

MrsKK

Re: Vacuum Sealer--auto or manual?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
Sailor and Boofer - thanks for clearing that up for me.

I have an automatic model that I have to love, as it was a Mother's Day gift from DD and DH, but when it bites the dust, I will be happy to spring for a manual model.

Funny - it used to be that automatic was better and manual meant more work.  With vacuum sealers, automatic means "their way or the highway"!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 02:44:25 AM »
A lot of times the manual version is also less expensive than the big fancy automatic one.

I love mine and cannot imagine what I did before. It really is a useful and effective appliance.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mjr522

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 02:48:16 AM »
Thanks, again, for all the feedback.  I'm leaning more towards the manual versions now--I agree with Tiarella that it would be nice if the had something that helped distinguish between the model numbers.  The "compare" feature they have is somewhat helpful, but when two items have all of the same features, but different model numbers and prices, it's hard to decide what to get.  Oh well...I'll figure it out sooner or later.

BobE102330

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
I'm not sure but the different model numbers with the same features could be for different retail outlets. It happens a lot in electronics. There is a different model number for a TV at Costco than Best Buy. That or maybe the difference is the color scheme.

Togekiss

great
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 06:07:55 AM »
I was insterested in yoga wheels as well. So, in this article, we’ll delve into this fad that has caught up quite quickly, and answer a few pertinent questions about yoga wheels, including:

What are the perks of using a yoga wheel?
Is it safe to use one?

https://www.yogayami.com/yoga-wheel-to-buy.html
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:26:04 AM by Togekiss »

tashad

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 04:03:30 AM »
I have a foodsaver V2860, and I absolutely love it. I usually use 'pulse' to vacuum it to where I want it and then seal, but it also has multiple settings for automatic. If it died, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another just like it.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
Looks like it has a nice selection of settings! Mine is a bog-simple manual FoodSaver ... but there is a little bit of automation to it. If I press the vacuum button, it will pull the vacuum up to some maximum, and then automatically seal. But I can also press the seal key while it is pulling the vacuum, before it maxes out, and it will stop at that point and seal. It would be interesting to see how consistent your unit is when you use the different settings for Gentle or Maximum or so on.
-- Andy

Kyle_Jackson

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Hello, what kind of food sealers can you recommend? At my work we have a vacuum chamber (Minerva I think) but I really can't afford a vacuum-chamber at home, so I have to settle with a sealer. Hope you can help me, so that I can start sous vide'ing at home!

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
I've been extremely happy with a pretty basic (entry-level) FoodSaver.
-- Andy

5ittingduck

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
I wore out my basic unit and went with a V2860.
It is more expensive but a much more useful machine.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 12:44:47 AM »
I got the Joly Joy vacuum sealer off of Amazon when it was on sale, but it is $50 now. I am extremely happy with it for bagging cheeses. However, if you want to bag large cheeses then it is too small.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 01:39:47 AM »
I have one from Aldi... been working fine for 3 years. I use the gentle / Moist setting as to no place too much compressive force on the cheese.  However, I still get a little moisture in the bag.  figuring it came from the cheese its Ok to leave it.  I check my cheeses one a month for excessive moisture and re-bag if I think there is too much.

--Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

jaxonjesse

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
You can go for auto or electric vacuum sealer. You can go to buy  Nesco VS-02 food saver device. I have been using this device for 2 years. It works fine, its durability, performance, ease of use, features are awesome. After searching for long, I finally found a good vacuum sealer for my kitchen purpose. I got a great help from a link for buying this device. If you want you can check this: https://foodgear.org/best-vacuum-sealer-reviews/

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 02:29:39 PM »
For what it's worth:
I had a FoodSaver FM2100 that just didn't have enough UMPH to vac well.
I upgraded to the FoodSaver V4440 and that puppy works great.  I also control the amount a vacuum easily on it.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
Hoping people will see this and respond.  I'm considering a vacuum sealer, but not sure it's worth getting.  My best successes so far have been with natural rind, and I believe (??) that I can just continue to let those age unsealed?  I was thinking vacuum sealing would allow me to mail the cheese more easily (and be more comfortable with it).

If you have a vacuum sealer, what is your brand and how happy are you with it?  on a scale from 1-10.

All replies appreciated.