Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer--auto or manual?  (Read 10230 times)

Offline MrsKK

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 62
  • Default personal text
Re: Vacuum Sealer--auto or manual?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 07:47:25 AM »
Sailor and Boofer - thanks for clearing that up for me.

I have an automatic model that I have to love, as it was a Mother's Day gift from DD and DH, but when it bites the dust, I will be happy to spring for a manual model.

Funny - it used to be that automatic was better and manual meant more work.  With vacuum sealers, automatic means "their way or the highway"!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 293
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
A lot of times the manual version is also less expensive than the big fancy automatic one.

I love mine and cannot imagine what I did before. It really is a useful and effective appliance.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Mike Richards

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
    • Lilac Harvest
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
Thanks, again, for all the feedback.  I'm leaning more towards the manual versions now--I agree with Tiarella that it would be nice if the had something that helped distinguish between the model numbers.  The "compare" feature they have is somewhat helpful, but when two items have all of the same features, but different model numbers and prices, it's hard to decide what to get.  Oh well...I'll figure it out sooner or later.
If only I could make cheese as well as I grow a mustache...

Offline BobE102330

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • chilihead/cheesehead
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
I'm not sure but the different model numbers with the same features could be for different retail outlets. It happens a lot in electronics. There is a different model number for a TV at Costco than Best Buy. That or maybe the difference is the color scheme.

Offline Togekiss

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 12:07:55 AM »
I used both vacuum sealer before, and I hope my experience may help.

Manual sealers give you more control when sealing certain soft foods you don't want to get crushed like berries or bread. Alternatively, liquids that might spill over into the machine. (An automatic sealer's mmanual mode have to be utilized for liquids anyway.)

Manual models can be less finicky then their automatic counterparts. There exist fewer chances for bugs, including the sensor not detecting the bag. Manual models also require less bag material, since the automatic models require that you insert more of the bag material on the machine in order for the sensor to detect it and trigger the sealing process. That excess material gets wasted.

All in all, I prefer automatic one, for its sealing ability is more potent. FYI, I am using a crazysales vacuum sealer, for its low price and high quality, and as mentioned, automatic performance.

Offline tashad

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »
I have a foodsaver V2860, and I absolutely love it. I usually use 'pulse' to vacuum it to where I want it and then seal, but it also has multiple settings for automatic. If it died, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another just like it.
Tasha

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 151
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »
Looks like it has a nice selection of settings! Mine is a bog-simple manual FoodSaver ... but there is a little bit of automation to it. If I press the vacuum button, it will pull the vacuum up to some maximum, and then automatically seal. But I can also press the seal key while it is pulling the vacuum, before it maxes out, and it will stop at that point and seal. It would be interesting to see how consistent your unit is when you use the different settings for Gentle or Maximum or so on.
-- Andy