Author Topic: Tartufo - black truffle cheese  (Read 10622 times)

smelly

Tartufo - black truffle cheese
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:36 PM »
I wanted to brag about a cheese which was just so tremendous that I had to share!  Maybe you already know it ... it's an Italian cheese called 'Tartufo' and it has black truffle inside the cheese adn wow, I love love love it!  I tried it once at a party and then couldn't forget it or find it.  Then I was at my horrible horrible neighbourhood grocery shop and there it was, a big huge chunk of it, at least $100 worth.  It was the only one and there was no price anywhere so I told the clerk I wasn't leaving without it!  If you can find tartufo and haven't tried it before, you should try!!! 

wharris

Re: Tartufo - black truffle cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
Sounds like something my wife might like.
Hmmmm.
I googled a bit and found this:

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Wayne, do you always wait for someone to leave before you eat their left overs?  ;D

In all seriousness, that does sound interesting. I'm not willing to try as truffles are dam expensive. Smelly, how much did it cost you?

smelly

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:45:38 PM »
$7 for about $30 in cheddar quantity.  So that was a cheesy bargain!  The clerk didn't know what to charge and there was no price tag and I refused to leave without it ...
It's amazing.  I will find some to bring to Houston next time I'm down ... whenever that will be!!!
Bothwell cheese, a Canadian cheese company that makes cheese like 'monterey jack jalapeno' just came out with a black truffle cheese but i haven't tried their kind. 
Here is a pic of it in the wrapping but you can't get a sense of the truffle in it. 
http://my.lifeinitaly.com/food/data/5/cheese-with-truffle.jpg
I am out of it now so I will be hunting for more.

smelly

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
Here is a better pic of what I bought, but I like the pictures posted earlier - they look so amazingly delish.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:24 PM »
Did you just say "delish"... ;D

Tea

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »
It certainly looks tasty.  I wonder are they using the kadove moulds?

smelly

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »
Hi!  Since bragging about how awesome this cheese was, I can't find it again anywhere.  I live in Canada - does anyone know where I can find this cheese?  Or maybe where I can order it from with delivery to Canada?  Tartufo Cheese (black truffle) like Boschetto.  This is very, very important because it's so good :)

avaserfi

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:50:43 PM »
Now I just have to brag. When I was in Paris last year I went across the street to the fromagerie daily. My favorite cheese?

Triple cream brie with a center of black truffles. Best cheese I have ever had and the reason I am learning to make cheese now...

smelly

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »
Wow!  That is awesome!!! I want to try that now ... What if (since I don't have such a brilliant fromagerie as you did) I tried to make some using store-bought brie?  Do you know what I could put in the middle???

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:05:01 AM »
Gee hon will this help ???

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:10:04 AM by DeejayDebi »

rocyncheese

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
I am trying to track down this cheese, it was made with sheeps milk and made somewhere near the Alps. It had a thin line of truffle through the middle?

Any ideas?

Thanks

smilingcalico

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 01:45:50 AM »
For those in the states, Pedrozo Dairy and Cheese Co. makes a truffle, gouda style cheese.
realfarmsteadcheese.com

tinysar

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:54 AM »
Wow!  That is awesome!!! I want to try that now ... What if (since I don't have such a brilliant fromagerie as you did) I tried to make some using store-bought brie?  Do you know what I could put in the middle???

Er... truffles?

See here: http://freshlocalandbest.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/how-to-make-truffle-cheese.html

Another site mentioned that some truffle cheeses use a combination of porcini & truffle (although I can't actually find such a cheese - they either use one or the other) - the flavour would be different of course, but it could be a cheaper-but-still-tasty alternative. And according to Deejay's link, they're using black summer truffles, which are not as strongly flavoured as the winter truffles, but are much cheaper.

Also, truffle eggs are made just by putting a truffle in a carton of eggs and letting the aroma seep through the shells - this might not create a strong enough flavour in a cheese (plus it might stink up your truffles!) - but you could always give it a try. That said, truffles are expensive, but the summer variety at least are not that expensive - I'd guess that you could buy enough to fill your brie sandwich for $5-10.