Author Topic: Mozzarella, Citric Acid version - Pre-Aging To Increase Flavour  (Read 1807 times)

jeanne geraci

Mozzarella, Citric Acid version - Pre-Aging To Increase Flavour
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »
When using citric acid to ferment milk (is that better than yogurt?), can you leave the milk out overnight?  I have read that for good flavor, you
should ferment at least 8 hrs before taking the next step. Can anyone advise?  Thanks.

mjr522

Re: Mozzarella, Citric Acid version - Pre-Aging To Increase Flavour
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »
The citric acid won't ferment the milk, if I understand how we use the language.  The fermenting of milk is accomplished by adding cultures (bacteria) to the milk that will consume the sugar in the milk, converting it to acid.  By adding citric acid, you are by-passing the fermenting part of cheese making.  If you were to add citric acid and then let it sit out all night, whatever bacteria is already in the milk will have the chance to grow.  It will continue to produce acid, but might make some pretty nasty flavors, too.

I'm not an expert, so there might be cases where you both and acid as well as adding culture to convert the sugars into acid.  If that were the case, however,  I would presume you'd add specific cultures, and not just let whatever happened to be in the milk do its thing.

I would guess that what you have heard about mozzarella being better fermented is talking about mozzarella made with culture as the acid producing agent instead of adding citric acid directly.

With all this said, I could be wrong and if so, someone who knows better than I do will likely fill both of us in.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:46:26 AM »
I believe that it would overacidify the milk and that the make would fail.

If you want better flavor, you really do need to make the cultured version, rather than the citric acid variety.

jeanne geraci

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
Thanks to Mike and Mrs. K for responding.  Not to sound like a total idiot, but what cultures should I be using and where do I get them?  Can anyone provide a recipe that has worked well? I've done a stove method and microwave, but the cheese hasn't had that nice elasticity or good flavor.  I've just used the rennet and citric acid.  The curds didn't set up terribly well.  The bit of riccotta made from the whey was good, though!

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
Here's the thread where I posted my cultured recipe.