Author Topic: Camembert #1 (and #2 now...)  (Read 14325 times)

iratherfly

Re: Camembert #1 (and #2 now...)
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 08:10:35 AM »
It certainly could be too little PC at that point.
Too little? Why? Seems like you have plenty growing there. Rind should be thin. They look very nice but they are still young. I would even age them longer in the cave next time if they look like this.  They will be ready when you begin to see streaks of geo showing up from under the PC as the PC gets thinner. The cheese should feel softer. Give it another week or two.  also, test it in room temperature. It opens up and the texture is optimal and as gooey/soft as it will get.

mjr522

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
At 6 weeks, I've got some good softening.  I'm starting to get a hint of ammonia when I put them right to my nose.  The softening is not entirely uniform, as you can see.  The flavor is okay--it has very faint, promising flavors of dirt and mushrooms, all hiding behind a bitter, though not inedible or overpowering, taste.  The rind is dry and chewy, like the cam I got from walmart...

I'd like to remove the bitter flavor, bring out the mushroom flavor, and get a nicer rind--and not have such a long ripening time.  These are my guesses at how to do these things.  Any input would be appreciated.

First, for all things involved, use better quality milk.  Got it.

For the bitter flavor, perhaps reduce the rennet.  I used about 1/8 tsp double strength rennet in 2 gallons of milk.  Also, use a non-homogenized milk...

To Bring out mushroom and dirt flavors, let the geo grow a little more.  Because of my first failure, I wonder if I over-compensated against the geo--more salt than needed, moved to the cooler fridge too soon.

To get a better rind.  I was very timid about patting down and rubbing.  Perhaps I can be a little more assertive in this area.

Thoughts?

bbracken677

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »
I have had similar issues with a couple of makes, and I think thinner would work rather well...about 1 to 1 1/4 inch final size should work...my current cams are almost perfect but for the very center layer which is a bit chalky compared to the rest (in texture). The flavor is excellent though. So I think I am on the right path, just a bit thinner so that the ripening from the rind inward will occur a bit sooner and more completely.

I think (at 6 weeks) your bitter problem relates to the excessive time ripening. My first make went really well, but due to the amount of fat (triple cream) it took a lot longer to ripen, at which point the flavor was also a bit bitter, but otherwise very good.