Author Topic: corded thermometers  (Read 7523 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
corded thermometers
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:03:12 AM »
Anyone have a corded thermometer they really like and find reliable? I am thinking this would be easier to clean up for using without worrying about it getting wet.
Susan

bbracken677

Re: corded thermometers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
What do you mean by corded?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »
Commonly used with the probe inserted into a roast in the oven, with the display outside of the oven.
Check this one....
http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Digital-In-Oven-Thermometer-Graphite/dp/B000P6FLOY/ref=pd_sim_k_1
Susan

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
That would solve a few problems for me...I like the concept.  I hang mine on the side of the vat with the probe in the milk...am always afraid it is going to get knocked into the milk...also...if I do a small batch the probe wont reach the milk that way.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:54 AM »
Just to follow up.... I did order the Polder Thermometer with the pan clip. I love how it clips to the side and then the probe angle into the middle of the pot. And it is much easier to feel like I am getting it clean.
I am concerned that it does not seem calibrate-able. Or at least I cannot see how it might be.
So far it registers 32 and 212 accurately!
Susan

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:49:44 AM »
I do like that clip. I used to have a probe thermometer that I kind of liked (This was the one: http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524889597311). The probe broke on it and I have not found a replacement (probe). I bought a whole new thermometer/probe set (different brand) but was extremely unhappy with it (I think this was it: http://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital-timer-thermometer-with-probe/-/A-533891#prodSlot=medium_1_16&term=thermometer). It was extremely imprecise. Personally, I try to avoid thermometers marketed for oven/meat use unless they explicitly list the accuracy/precision/error rating. One of these days I would like to get a good IR thermometer. A thermocouple reader would be pretty fun to.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »
I love my waterproof digital thermometer although it would be cool if it clipped to the side and angled into the pot.  Even cooler would be a huge readout screen that I could see from across the room!    ;D.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Totally detached....

I recently added a laser-guided thermonuclear infrared no-contact thermometer to my equipment arsenal. I love it. Need to check the heat without possibly introducing infection or critters into my make...no problem...point and shoot. The last temp is held when you release the trigger.

Makes the make :) just a tad bit quicker and cleaner for me.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
Totally detached....

I recently added a laser-guided thermonuclear infrared no-contact thermometer to my equipment arsenal. I love it. Need to check the heat without possibly introducing infection or critters into my make...no problem...point and shoot. The last temp is held when you release the trigger.

-Boofer-

Very slick!  Love your arsenal!  Tell me this, where does the temp reading come from?  The surface?  The core?  I wonder because I know when I use my handheld one the temp varies widely depending upon where in the "vat" the probe is unless I've just stirred extremely thoroughly. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
I have two corded thermometers.  Neither of them work anymore because.....wait for it......they got wet.  That's right, you can't get them wet where the cable runs into the probe.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AndreasMergner

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
Same thing happened to me as Al - also twice. I now use a cheapy thermometer clipped to the side and double check with the Thermopen when I get close to the target temp.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
Totally detached....

-Boofer-

Sure hope you didn't go out and buy that just because you saw mine?  LOL

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I am currently in the market for one of those bad boys. Anything I should keep in mind?

I have been looking at a few manufactured by extech.

stinkymccheese

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »
I've got two Taylor 1470 corded thermometers that I use for cheese and for my smoker, I throw the cord and probe in near boiling water between makes and they are both spot on temperature wise.

Maybe I'm lucky?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Must be because both of mine are made for the same thing and their instructions specifically state not to submerge them in water.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:12:53 PM by Al Lewis »