Author Topic: 1st Taleggio make  (Read 13092 times)

bbracken677

Re: 1st Taleggio make
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
Here is a pic of the taleggios next to my 2 cams for contrast in color.

Everything seems to be progressing well, although slowly.   :D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 06:22:17 AM »
Looking good, Bruce! How soon before one of these gets sampled? Not rushing...just asking.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2012, 07:44:07 AM »
Niice!

bbracken677

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »
Looks like maybe a couple more weeks. They are ripening ever so slowly...I am considering moving them to a warmer part of the cave. They have been aging at 41F, but I am thinking perhaps a period of 50ish may speed things up. I can always move back to 41 if things seem to be getting out of hand.

I am really looking forward to trying these out!

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 03:45:27 AM »
Be careful though.  Sometimes speeding things up doesn't go so well.  If they are developing slowly then I would recommend you at least leave one of each as is.  Slower development can result in more complex flavours and deeper ripening, so moving only one of each would at least give you a chance to compare.  Also, there's no need to have them all ready at the same time, so this would help extend your cheese time. 

They look really good by the way.

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff...I may just do that (moving just one each). Havent moved anything yet...last couple of days have been kinda busy. Makes sense to not have them all ripen together. Mainly I was talking about the taleggios though.

I am thinking that I may try another make...I have updated my recipe to a more accurate one (I believe). Maybe this week...or next. Unfortunately the next couple of weeks I will be busy and wont have much time for cheese making, but I should be able to slide a make or 2 in.

I also want to make a Forme d' Ambert...I just got back from the cheese festival they are having at Central Market here...I looked at a lot of their blues for "inspiration"....we wont discuss the drooling   :D