Author Topic: Cultured butter!  (Read 5400 times)

cutetrill

Cultured butter!
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
OMG you guys. I just made my first batch of cultured butter. What a difference in the flavor to the store bought stuff. So good! This is bad for me you guys... I mean eating lots of cheese is bad enough, but now butter... lol

bbracken677

Re: Cultured butter!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
What did you culture it with?

cutetrill

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
A butermilk packet from cheesemaking.com. Let it sit at room temp for a little over 12 hours, made an absolute mess with the food processor, and then again while I was trying to work out all the extra water... but so worth the effort.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
Awesome! I was just wondering...my daughter is getting into butter making and I thought I would pass the info along...Thanks!

Susie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »
I'm about to do this myself. I've been making both cultured sour cream and buttermilk, so I figured I'd take some of the sour cream and turn it into butter. It's on my list for tomorrow. I can't wait to try it!

mabel4gs

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
Hi there,

I've been making cultured butter with the Aroma B culture (about an 1/8 of a tsp). You can get it at https://www.getculture.com

It is amazingly good and great for baking too! I don't eat a lot of it so I end up giving most of it away :)

I find it easiest after it sits out for 12 hours to put it in the fridge for 12 hours before churning (I use the cuisinart which is super fast!)

Nothing better that squeezing fresh butter in your hands. And I find the buttermilk is not as sour as the kind you can buy in the store.

Planning on trying to press it into shapes next and maybe some flavor infusions!

Happy butter making!