Author Topic: Hi From Montana  (Read 7327 times)

LoftyNotions

Hi From Montana
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
Hi everyone. I've been reading the forums in stealth mode for quite a while, and have finally decided to say something.

I've been making cheese for about 4 months now, not counting one cheddar I made about 25 years ago. I thought my interests would lie in Cheddars, Swiss, Provolone, etc. and several of my first makes were of those types. Then I discovered ripened cheeses. My first was a Gorgonzola, which I just opened. I'm really happy about the way it turned out.

Then I read both of the ripened cheese boards here from front to back and found iratherfly's excellent tutorial on Reblochon. I got everything I needed and started my first make today. So far, so good. I'll be posting as I go on the washed rind board.

Anyway, I'm really impressed with the level of knowledge freely shared here. Thanks everyone.

Larry

bbracken677

Re: Hi From Montana
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »
Howdy from Texas!

Yes, Iratherfly is quite a resource and an outstanding person as well! There are lots of helpful people here and lots of info!

Cheers!

mjr522

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
Welcome!

Congrats with the successful Gorgonzola and good luck with the Reblochon.  I'd like to make Cambozolas, but have read that learning to do well with Cams was a good first step.  That's where I am--first steps.  Someday I'll be on my first steps with blues, too, and then I'll mix them up.

I agree that this is a great forum, and look forward to reading about your adventures.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »
Yeah...I want to eventually try a cam with blue instead of PC white coverage....not poke it just to see how it turns out. Could call it a cambazoola!  haha

LoftyNotions

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
Yeah...I want to eventually try a cam with blue instead of PC white coverage....not poke it just to see how it turns out. Could call it a cambazoola!  haha

Hmm, Cambazoola... Sounds like a good place to keep the wild critters that would grow on it. :)

Larry

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
Larry, it's good to have another Montuckyan on these boards. You'll find that the people in the forum are not only knowledgeable but really generous with it.

Drop me a line if you have occasion to come through Missou. I'll buy you a cup of coffee and we can talk about cheese.
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

LoftyNotions

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:12:38 AM »
Larry, it's good to have another Montuckyan on these boards. You'll find that the people in the forum are not only knowledgeable but really generous with it.

Drop me a line if you have occasion to come through Missou. I'll buy you a cup of coffee and we can talk about cheese.
Hi Dave,

Yes, we're few and far between. I'm amazed at the depth of information freely given here! There are a bunch of amazingly talented and knowledgeable people  on the boards. Have you started your Reblochon yet? I just put my first one in my "yeasting room".

I lived in Missoula back in the 50s.

Next time I get over to your side of the hill I'll look you up.

Larry

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »
I'm eagerly awaiting the molds, cultures, etc (that I bought from Yoav) and I plan on a Reb make this weekend. I just set up a "yeast room" for the task. I hope I don't screw it up.

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:56:36 AM »

Hmm, Cambazoola... Sounds like a good place to keep the wild critters that would grow on it. :)

Larry

Muahaha  So true! 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:53 AM »

Larry
If memory serves me, Cambazoola is in the mountains of Mozambique. Very inhospitable towards young cheeses, I would imagine. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
OMG  LOL

LoftyNotions

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting the molds, cultures, etc (that I bought from Yoav) and I plan on a Reb make this weekend. I just set up a "yeast room" for the task. I hope I don't screw it up.

Yoav is a great source for supplies. I got all my stuff for the make from him. I wish I had a lower temperature place for pressing. 73°F really accelerated acidification. Other than thak, so far, so good.

Larry

LoftyNotions

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
I think Cambazoola is someplace close to where dbudge55 lives. :)

Well, it sounds similar anyway.

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
Huh, I thought it was the original name for Two Dot, Mt. but it was too difficult for people in Billings to spell so they changed the name. You learn something new every day  ;).

LoftyNotions

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
It wasn't so much that we couldn't spell it, we just had trouble counting the dots! ;)