Author Topic: Hello from TN  (Read 3375 times)

homeacremom

Hello from TN
« on: February 14, 2009, 03:08:19 AM »
Hi there! I live in Middle TN, USA and I LOVE cheese.  :-*
My husband and I have 3 young boys and live on a mini-farm. We got our first dairy goats after discovering some cow milk allergies. That naturally led into all sort of experimentation with homemade dairy products. Besides all the "other" products like buttermilk, yogurt and kefir we regularly consume the easier types of cheese like feta, chevre and mozzarella.
I came here to learn how to make better cheese! My goal for this coming year is to master Brie and improve Gouda and Cheddar. I also need to perfect my mozzarella and need to stick to recipes with naturally produced acidity as one of the boys is allergic to the additive citric acid.
Looking forward to learning from you all!  :)

stuartjc

Re: Hello from TN
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 03:14:39 AM »
hi homeacremom! Pull up a seat, the folks are very friendly here  ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
Welcome, you have lots of variables in your process and ingredients, which is good we love challenges and it helps us think sideways so we better understand what WE are doing while helping you.

Are all the cheese you listed above, you've made from goat milk? Goat milk has it's own set of variables as I'm sure you know, it's naturally homogenized.

Also you don't need to use citric acid, you can use vinegar and a host of other things to do the same job. Your son has an allergy to citric acid? Does that mean he's allergic to a lot of food items? The only reason I ask is as a child I was allergic to milk, my older brother was allergic to corn and my younger half brother also allergic to corn..mind you we all grew out of it by the age of 12. Plus my mom is in the dental field and does a lot with universities, this meant she researched endlessly our allergies over the years. What she found out with my younger brother after years of research was that he wasn't actually allergic to corn but a super minute chemical used to process corn, so could it be something used to refine or produce citric acid? I only ask to help as it seems like citric acid would be pretty benign, but then again there are people who are allergic to sunlight.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
Good morning Home Acre Mom and welcome to the forum!

Great you have lots of experience with cheese making, looking forward to your input, lots of friendly folks here from all around the world.

I think you are the first one in Tennessee so I've just added a Board just in case you have anything specific for there :).

PS: homeacremom is a bit of long, you can change your visible in your Profile from menu ot top or shall we just call you H.A.M. ;D?

Tea

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »
Good morning Homeacremom, and welcome to the forum. 

wharris

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
Finally, Some folks that a re getting closer to me!  I get down to Kingsport on business once in a while.

Welcome to the forum!

homeacremom

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.
As you can see I am now HAM.  :P :D

As for my son's allergy to citric acid...I believe it is the mold used in producing the citric acid additive that he reacts to. He does not react to naturally occuring acid in citrus, etc.  He is now 3 and is already growing out of some of the sensitivity. We have used GAPS (gut and phsychology syndrome if anyone wants to google it) for reversing alot of his problems.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
H.A.M. I didn't mean you had to change it but sounds great, especially as kinof goes with cheese in a sandwich kind of way ;D.

homeacremom

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:19:38 AM »
Yeah, LOL...well I don't especially like ham, but it is a great forum name. :) thanks for the idea!

HAM.... better not tell anyone in real life or it will stick forever.  ::)