Author Topic: My First Reblochon. Might As Well Join The Party  (Read 28501 times)

Peynirci

Re: My First Reblochon. Might As Well Join The Party
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
While I haven't put any softer cheeses on the boards yet I don't think the rough cut will present a problem.  The word "rough" may be a little misleading, they're actually fairly smooth to the touch.  Here's a close-up shot.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. That's the degree of smoothness/roughness I settled on. Works well for me (though I've only used it with Reblochon #4).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 04:10:19 AM »
How do you guys maintain enough air circulation in your caves with so much solid shelving?  I've been wondering about that.

Peynirci

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 04:36:03 AM »
How do you guys maintain enough air circulation in your caves with so much solid shelving?  I've been wondering about that.

I cut the shelves so that there are about 2 inches in the back, about an inch between the two planks on each shelf, and about 2-3 inches between the front plank and the door, so I would think the circulation is good.

iratherfly

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 06:42:55 AM »
Kathrin, if you remember in the recipe I mentioned that washed rind cheeses like Reblochon should have limited circulation on the bottom as they rest on wood shelves. Only the top and side are washed, so that no excess moisture will collect on the bottom, block the air and suffocate the rind. The next day, the top is drier, you turn the cheese and wash the top (which was the bottom until now), and so on and so forth.  Too much circulation over the aging period can make a dry cheese which is also a problem.

Here is a photo of Reblochon Fermier AOC aging in the cave in France:

Tomme de Savoie - same deal:

Emmental - still the same deal:

I can go on and on... Morbier, St. Necrtaire, Beaufort, Mimolette, Fontina, Cheddar, Stillton, etc. Even some Bries can enjoy wood shelves aging; the common practice is to line the shelf in this case with a ripening mat (such as the stiff one you got from me).  The two-tier crisscross structure facilitates air exchange, yet it keeps the air quite still.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2012, 01:06:16 AM »
I just ordered one of these. It will be powered by a small power adapter much the same as the one that has been operating quite nicely for the past 3+ years.

Here is a photo of Reblochon Fermier AOC aging in the cave in France:
Bad pic, Yoav.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

bbracken677

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
Bad pic, Yoav.

-Boofer-

Looks nice to me!  Lots of cheesey goodness there   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:44 AM »
I tried it on another computer and it came up at first but then converted to a bad link.

Guess I'm the only one with sunspot interference. ::)

Late edit: I just went to the website http://www.ledauphine.com/ and most of the pics there are corrupted as well. Might be my lack of skill in French culture. ;)

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:15:09 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 01:14:35 AM »
Boof, I think your avatar attracts sun spots!

Seriously, you're just the guy I want to see here.  You vacuum bag your cut wedges of Reb, right?  Do you put them in regular fridge after that or back in wine cooler?  I just cut a couple of mine and bagged them and need to know.  I'll post photos when I can either find my thread or start one. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 01:17:40 AM »
You vacuum bag your cut wedges of Reb, right?  Do you put them in regular fridge after that or back in wine cooler?  I just cut a couple of mine and bagged them and need to know.
Seriously? :P

Back in the big, cold fridge. Matter-of-fact, I just pulled out a wedge of Reb#4 a bit ago for later enjoyment. Works very well.

Seriously....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!