Author Topic: The use of notes, or "How I messed up my second Reblochon".  (Read 12451 times)

hoeklijn

The use of notes, or "How I messed up my second Reblochon".
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »
At the beginning of this year I had my first try on Reblochon, which turned out to become a "Reblonbert" because I used PC Neige instead of Geo.
Well, this time I would do it better, with the help of the recipe and extensive threat from Yoav aka Iratherfly.
As usual I got this morning 20 liter of raw milk, during milking time, so still warm. All my preparations were done yesterday evening: Mixed my cultures because I'm not using Choozit cultures, sanitized my equipment and forgot to read my notes on the first try.
But well, this morning when I started to mould the curd, I certainly remembered: First time I used 8 liter milk. That time the wheels were a bit too thick for Reblochon because I used self made moulds. And now, because I had no access to other moulds so quickly, I ended up with two Stilton shaped towers and two smaller mould for which I have no follower.
I have no pictures, not because I'm too embarrassed  :-[ but because they are still in the moulds.
Would it be a good idea to cut slices before I'm going to salt them??

iratherfly

Re: The use of notes, or "How I messed up my second Reblochon".
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »
IF they are indeed so thick than slice them into two wheels each.  You will have to press them at twice the weight though, or press the 4-5 wheels you get at normal weight.

Notes!!!! They have saved me so much cheese and milk over the years!
So what cultures ARE you using?

Excited to see your results. You always make beautiful looking cheese Herman!

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
Yes, I already increased the weight and I will wait with slicing until I'm going to salt them. But they are looking and smelling alright.
I used the cultures I bought from my German supplier (still finishing that before I order from you  :) ):
1/8 Alpha ( 2/3 Lactococcus Cremoris and Lactococcus Lactis and 1/3 Lactococcus Diacetilactis and Leuconostoc Cremoris)
1/16 Omega (80% Lactococcus cremoris and Lactococcus lactis and 20% Streptococcus thermophilus)
1/8 Delta (Streptococcus thermophilus)
1/8 Sigma 55 (Geo)
1/8 Sigma 96 (B. Linens)
I know I could have done it skipping the Omega, but since I also want to finish that one....

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
Hah, I am actually beginning to import all of those to the US next month. Will have a lot on hand.  They have a special Reblochon mix that I am after. Do you get those in the clear vials with the red cap?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »
They have a special Reblochon mix that I am after. Do you get those in the clear vials with the red cap?
That's intriguing. Can you keep me in the loop on that?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:31:54 AM »
Hah, I am actually beginning to import all of those to the US next month. Will have a lot on hand.  They have a special Reblochon mix that I am after. Do you get those in the clear vials with the red cap?
Yes indeed, the small ones (DL-1). Why are you going to import them, only for the Reblochon mix? Which one is that, the Iota M? Have you any idea who the manufacturer is, because I don't have any background information now? I asked on the forum a while ago about these kind of mixtures and Linuxboy answered that it would be the same to mix it from other cultures.

Yesterday I sliced two wheels in half. I had to improvise a bit because I now ended up with a total of 6 wheels instead of the expected two, but they are in containers in a cool room now.
Tonight I'll add the pictures...

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
And here is the result of an exciting weekend: Two smaller Rebs in a square container which I have to cover with the lids of two other containers that I didn't have prepared yet, and my big container with the sliced Rebs on 2 food grade cutting boards. The above board has a cheese cloth between board and mat, to prevent dripping.

LoftyNotions

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
It looks like all the scrambling you had to do is going to pay off.

Talk about a Chinese fire-drill! :)

Larry

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 05:21:19 AM »
Larry, that's funny.

Herman, Jim - of course I will keep you in the loop. They come from a small French company. I will have alpha through sigma cultures. They make all these specific strain mixes, just toss them on the milk and you are done: out comes a Camembert, Port Salut, Tomme, Reblochon, Chabichou etc. Really cool stuff. I am awaiting documentation so I will let you know when I know more.

hoeklijn

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:33:04 AM »
They come from a small French company.

Aha, interesting. I guess you contacted Käsereibedarf Leidinger after I pointed you to their website?

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 06:48:46 AM »
Actually no. They are a retailer so that's too expensive for me. I have been building up this relationship through a French cheesemaker that I am working with and it has taken a long time.  I am also getting many new things from this new place. Most of this stuff has never been sold outside of France and Italy ever and it's the first time it is being offered so I am excited. I have creameries already taking advanced orders for a couple of items.

hoeklijn

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »
Okay, well I'm really interested in more documentation because, to be honest, the results I'm getting with these cultures are pretty good as far as I can judge.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
They look great, Herman!

I like the way you've tiered your ripening box. Very clever and functional use of space.

Actually no. They are a retailer so that's too expensive for me. I have been building up this relationship through a French cheesemaker that I am working with and it has taken a long time.  I am also getting many new things from this new place. Most of this stuff has never been sold outside of France and Italy ever and it's the first time it is being offered so I am excited. I have creameries already taking advanced orders for a couple of items.
It does sound very exciting. Good to have you right in the thick of it.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »
Thanks Boofer. It's now the third day after making and they are still quite wet, so I just gave them a bit more air tho breath and decided to wait a bit more before I make my morge.

hoeklijn

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
Time for an update, because it looks that I saved my Reblochons after all. I caved them last Thursday when I did the first wash and they are developing well as far as I can see. Geo is doing well and some pink area's are coming... and I can smell them....