Author Topic: The use of notes, or "How I messed up my second Reblochon".  (Read 12450 times)

LoftyNotions

Re: The use of notes, or "How I messed up my second Reblochon".
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »
Those are looking really nice, Herman. It looks like you have a lot more color development than I do at this point.

Mine definitely stink smell though. :)

Larry

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 05:01:52 AM »
Boy, this Reb thing is driving me crazy! These and Lofty's look so good!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »
Thanks Boofer, luckily enough I managed to wash them until now with an open window and without my wife in the neighborhood  >:D

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »
Herman doesn't know how to make cheese that isn't beautiful! What's up with that?  ;)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
Time for an update, because it looks that I saved my Reblochons after all. I caved them last Thursday when I did the first wash and they are developing well as far as I can see. Geo is doing well and some pink area's are coming... and I can smell them....

Hi Herman!!  beautiful cheeses!!!!!   :D. What are they supposed to smell like?  And what are they supposed to taste like??  They look so beautiful and it makes me wonder about making some but I am not yet a fan of very stinky cheeses.  can you describe what it's supposed to be like?

iratherfly

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 03:21:18 AM »
Kathrin, I made a whole big post about Reblochon, with its history, makeup, tips and of course - the recipe. Herman is using this recipe here.  Here's the old post. It's a long one but if you are interested in this cheese, you will enjoy it. Reblochon is really the most important cheese to learn if you want to enter the washed rind category, just like Tomme is for harder cheese or Camembert for bloomy cheeses, or Crottin is for lactic cheeses.

Here's the link: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9928.msg

hoeklijn

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:14 AM »
What are they supposed to smell like?  And what are they supposed to taste like??  They look so beautiful and it makes me wonder about making some but I am not yet a fan of very stinky cheeses.  can you describe what it's supposed to be like?
Well, I guess you love them or you hate them. Some people say they smell like dirty socks, which is reasonable because the B.Linens comes from the same family of bacteria that is responsible for smelly feet.
In some parts of France it is forbidden to have Epoisses with you in public transport, and not without reason. It's a miracle that something with such a smell can taste so lovely.
But I love the smell (the cheese that is, not the socks and I'm pretty sure I can distinguish with a blind test  >:D)
This is my first real Reblochon because the first batch turned out to be more Camembert than Reblochon, but it was moisty, creamy, full of flavour with a slightly sharp edge, caused by the BL probably

iratherfly

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »
I don't think they smell that strongly. They shouldn't. Reblochon are mixed rind and a bit on the mild side. Not nearly as smelly as Epoisse or Munster. Eating them is in total contrast to the smell however; supple, milky, soft, not too strong, preferably grassy. Very melty; If nothing else, use it to make Tartiflette, a great French dish of bacon, onions, sliced potatoes and Reblochon served hot and melty. Yumm!  There are many variations and recipes but here's a really good one: http://frenchcookingfordummies.com/2009/tartiflette/

LoftyNotions

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:44:39 AM »
That recipe is now on my must make list. :) It'll be perfect for our French Dinner in 3 months.

hoeklijn

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
In a couple of weeks I'll post a report on the taste. By the end of the week I'm going to wrap them and store them at about 4C....

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »
Hmmm, so many things to respond to!  :D  Yoav, I have read and printed out your lovely long Reblochon post for future use....I've read it a few times already and it sits in my cheese file on the windowsill next to the kitchen daybed seat for regular perusal.  If this is a milder tasting cheese it might be perfect for me to play with in between my experiments with leaf wrapping.  Hope you got my email about my order......

Herman, I look forward to reading the results of your tasting your make.  AND, if you ever do a blind smell test of the cheese and dirty socks I want to hear the results of that also!   ;D

Lofty, your batch looks amazing too!!!  Hope to read about their taste also.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
I don't think they smell that strongly. They shouldn't.
That's what I am finding also. I have said to several family members "Smell this." They don't smell anything untoward. Certainly no ammonia smell.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

hoeklijn

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
OK, to be honest, I'm a big fan of Epoisses and they really stink. That is also my experience with Limburger.
But this second batch of Reblochon is the first batch that is really responding to the washing by getting smelly.
In the first batch I had replaced the Geo with PC Neige, just because I didn't have Geo at that time, so it turned into Reblonbert.
Because the way the BL is developing (and the sensitive nose of my wife  ^-^), I washed this batch less than mentioned in the recipe of our Reblochon guru Iratherfly, so I hope they will turn out like expected. :#)  (Smiley with a pinched nose...)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 06:09:01 AM »
:#)  (Smiley with a pinched nose...)
Cute.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

hoeklijn

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »
Tonight we have a party at one of our neighbours and they want me to bring .... cheese (Duh!)
So I took a brave step and cut my first Reblochon. Smell is not overwhelming but recognizable. Body is starting to get gooey.
And the taste: euhh, well, like Reblochon?
At the background a 3 months old Gouda with Greek herbs, one of my favorites. Is also going to be a victim of tonight...