Author Topic: Creamy Blueberry Delight...Redux  (Read 23285 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Creamy Blueberry Delight...Redux
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
Aren't there a lot of acids in blueberries?  Maybe if you were to macerate them with some calcium carbonate to lower their Ph?  Other option might be dried fruit.  I believe that might be what they put into the cranberry ones.  Just thinking out loud here as I'm really anxious for you to get this right.  Then I can make some.  ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
For a 38 gallon make I use 2 cups of dried blueberries rehydrated in 6 cups of purified water. I add 1 TBS baking soda to balance the pH and 1 TBS of Natamax to prevent mold on the fruit. I add salt and the blueberries to the cooked curds, hoop and press as usual. I do this with my blueberry blue cheese and also Butterkase. I use this same technique with cranberries.

IMHO a 1 gallon make is really difficult to control. My cheeses are 8.5" and around 7 pounds.

Washing the curds, even if a recipe doesn't specifically call for it, will reduce the acidity that is produced during pressing. That will produce a softer, creamier texture and will also help balance out any residual acid from the berries. The baking soda may not entirely penetrate the skin of the berry, so the interior pulp can still be pretty acidic.

Tomer1

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Perhaps split the fruit or pulse it through a food processor.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
Washing the curds, even if a recipe doesn't specifically call for it, will reduce the acidity that is produced during pressing. That will produce a softer, creamier texture and will also help balance out any residual acid from the berries. The baking soda may not entirely penetrate the skin of the berry, so the interior pulp can still be pretty acidic.
You're right, I had picked the wrong style as a base for this adventure. Fourme d'Ambert is incorrect and it should be a washed curd style. I have had good success with my washed curd cheeses. Not entirely sure that alone will permit the berries to remain somewhat moist. I wonder if there is any way to better resolve the acidity inside the berries. If I think I have balanced the pH with baking soda, but the berries still retain an inner acidity, then I have really achieved nothing except to fool myself.

Perhaps split the fruit or pulse it through a food processor.
The point is to have whole berries, not puree. :o

Aren't there a lot of acids in blueberries?  Maybe if you were to macerate them with some calcium carbonate to lower their Ph?  Other option might be dried fruit.  I believe that might be what they put into the cranberry ones.  Just thinking out loud here as I'm really anxious for you to get this right.  Then I can make some.  ;D
See page one of this thread, Al. ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05:55 AM »
See page one of this thread, Al. ::)

-Boofer-

See,  I was right!  LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 05:26:32 AM »
You're right on top of things, Al. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

hoeklijn

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
Too sad to read that it was a disappointment. A cheese for you for your effort and for sharing it...

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »
Boofer, if you are concerned about the inside of the berries still being acidic you could pierce the berries with a large sewing needle before soaking them in the backing soda.  That should allow it to get inside the berries.  Or use a knife and cut them slightly (i.e. put a small slit in each berry) before rehydrating.  Since you're just doing a small batch, this might be doable, albeit a royal pain.  But, I'm sure Sailor doesn't do this as he's working on a commercial scale and he didn't mention anything like this, so I suspect using a washed curd like butterkase or gouda as a base would solve the problem without the insanity inducing single berry special acupuncture treatment.  You'll get there, and when you do, it will be a huge success.

- Jeff

george

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
You'll get there, and when you do, it will be a huge success.
Yes, you will.  And you still have time in the year to do it!   A)

(hee hee - berry acupuncture!)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »
Yes, you will.  And you still have time in the year to do it!   A)

(hee hee - berry acupuncture!)
And how did YOU escape the naughty list this year? :P

I'm afraid a third effort will have to wait until the new year. Don't like the idea of making cheese with company cluttering the kitchen. Okay for pretty much anything else, but not my cheesemaking. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement from all of you.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
A washed curd cheese is sort of the easy way out because that will help naturally mitigate some of the acidity from the berries. However, I do both blueberry and cranberry variations of my Rhapsody En Bleu (Stilton style) all the time, so the Fourme should work. For me the trick seems to be giving adequate time for the berries to rehydrate and uptake the baking soda. I also only use fruit in cheeses that are salted, not brined.

I am going to try using fresh, not dried, berries in a Butterkase very soon. I will soak them in StarSan for about 10 minutes to kill off any unwanted microbes. Then I will rinse and soak them in my normal baking soda/Natamax solution for a couple of hours before mixing into the drained curds. My goal is plumper looking berries. However, keep in mind that the pressing process alone will "pop" many berries anyway.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that at least some are milled after aging, the fruit is added, and the cheese is re-pressed. This would require more pressure than most home presses can handle. Perhaps Francois and LB could give us some hints about how the big commercial guys use fruit and berries.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:48:00 PM by Sailor Con Queso »

george

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »
And who says I did?   Libel, I tells ya!  ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
And who says I did?   Libel, I tells ya!  ;D
Hey, have a great New Year's, george. You have helped make this a fun year. Be well.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
Hey, have a great New Year's, george. You have helped make this a fun year. Be well.
Workin' on it!  And right back atcha.   :)

(Any ideas for a New Years Day cheese?  I mean, I did the stinky apocalypse one, but am coming up blank on one for 1/1/13.)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »
My Saint Paulin is just starting to get a Geo dusting though I've just started washing with linens.

One project that I've been looking at is a return to Taleggio. One day, while staring deeply into my coffee, I squinted and saw the plastic trays that the biscotti were sitting in. I immediately envisioned Taleggio. Seems almost perfect.

So, that may be my direction first thing out of the gate. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!