Author Topic: Joining the Reblochon Party  (Read 12499 times)

iratherfly

Re: Joining the Reblochon Party
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 03:27:09 AM »
Looks great Dave!  Getting softer on the edges - do you mean they are just rounding or they are pillowing? It's a little too early for pillowing (should happen close to the end of the wash regiment). They look perfect. Did they feel slick/slippery due to the geo mocasse growth?

I wonder how you did your yeasting environment. Some people are lucky to have a perfect space at home. Others need to change the temp of the entire cave and take anything incompatible out of it. What did you do for your 4 days at +60°F?

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 04:11:31 AM »
I wouldn't call the edges "pillowing".  They're just rounding over. And yes, they did feel slick/slppery by day 4.

I have a dedicated small apartment fridge that I set up just for yeasting - although I will surely re-purpose it as must needs. It's just perfect to hold 4 six qt ripening boxes and I set the controller for 61 F. It seemed to work.   

One more question. Both Larry and I used cheese cloth when we first molded the curd. Given the slow drain nature of the molds do you think that's necessary? It seems to me that it might not be needed.
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

iratherfly

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »
I don't use it, but I think that for a producer who works with many of these at once it may be easier to turn them over quickly and forcefully push the curd and load it up more and more without it protruding/extruding from the weeping holes and blocking them.  The cheesecloth also gives the rind a nice texture that with its groove crisscross pattern makes a better and more abrasive rind to wash when it dries out. Do what's comfortable to you.  You can use a more coarse mesh such as the synthetic draining bags for chèvre - they make an excellent coarse cheesecloth for this.

One of the things that I don't like about cotton cheeseclothes is that they can easily contaminate and leave lint behind. The bleached types can also leach out bleach which disturbs flora growth. Then, if you wash it with water, particles of old curd may remain and be a problem. You can't wash them in the laundry because the detergent traces can fight off flora too. The synthetic types are so much better, you can wash them with detergent and they are not porous so they won't absorb any of that. You can scrub them and boil them too. They don't leave lint behind or interfere with rind flora. They last a really long time and just take a beating over and over again. Easy.  (I am talking about the nylon and PP mesh types, not ply-ban which is disposable)

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 06:39:01 PM »
Cracked this one open at 34 days and am quite happy with it. It's very creamy and gooey but I think the others will get more so as they age. I'm pleased with it (and it's a good thing too since I have a dozen of them.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:58:59 PM by dbudge55 »

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
Looks really good!  A cheese to you.  How's the taste?

- Jeff

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
Very nice, Jeff. Mild with a hint of B-linen. If I were a Brit I think I would call it "lovely."  :)

LoftyNotions

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
Awesome, Dave!

My first batch is probably about a week away from the first tasting (by me anyway). Sent one with the wife to New York, and she'll probably crack it open this weekend with son and DIL.

I have a second make about 6 days in and will be starting a 3rd batch tomorrow. Threads and pics to follow, along with confessions. ;)

Oh, and a cheese to you.

Larry

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »
I have a second make about 6 days in and will be starting a 3rd batch tomorrow.
Sounds like there's a Reb factory sprouting in Sky Country.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
Well, Boof, if there isn't there should be, by damn!

LoftyNotions

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »
I just want to get one right. ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 02:45:14 PM »
I just want to get one right. ;)
There you go. Right attitude. Keep on truckin'. 8)

That's all I'm trying to do too. Probably a few more folks with the same thought.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:21 AM »
Nice Dave! 34 days is a bit early in my opinion but it looks right for such early release.  Also, remember that this is a surface ripened cheese so the thicker you make it, the longer it takes for the rind to ripen the paste and affect the center.  Think of it as cooking something thick vs something thin.  That last part of the aging when you put it in the fridge - that's really the simmering to get it to "cook thoroughly" but stop "burning the outside" and "evaporate the liquids".   Also remember that the B.Linens continue to intensify in terms of color and organoleptic qualities.

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
Actually, I knew it was a bit early but since I did three consecutive makes I have lots of them and figured I would open one up early so I can see the progress. I'll put up pictures as I open the others. I can see the b-linen development on the others continuing.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »
Also remember that the B.Linens continue to intensify in terms of color and organoleptic qualities.
If you find that you're overrun with these cheeses, you can PM me and I'll respond with my mailing address. ;)

Alternatively, I have had decent success in stopping the linens advance by wedging the cheese wheels and vacuum-sealing the wedges.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
Don't send me to the timeout corner, but I got my first laugh for the morning at the visual produced by the phrase "wedging the cheese wheels".

Thanks, Boofer!! ;D