Author Topic: Calcium Chloride a closer look  (Read 9910 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Calcium Chloride a closer look
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »
So the last few batches I've been out of CaCl2, and I got about the same set as with it. I ordered some none-the-less. When I got the bottle I noticed a few things, clear as water and the quantity was 6 oz. for every 1000 pounds of milk, that comes out to 1 1/2 tsp per 5 gallon batch or 4 1/2 tsp. per 15 gallons. This lead me to a couple conclusions. First was that my old CaCl2 was bad. It was one solid block due to moisture and was in my garage for years, I had it around for wine making to adjust water if needed, I never needed it. After I disolved it in water there were always a few particles that never dissolved and it stated to grow mold after a few months so I threw it out. I now keep it in the frig, it can't hurt. Next observation was amount, I got my original amounts from less than trustful sources. I used to use 5/8 tsp per 5 gallons milk, well that means I was using about half the amount needed. So I'll try it again and see if I get a better set.

Cheese Head

Re: Calcium Chloride a closer look
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
Carter, I thought you were going to post a picture of your sad salt lick in the corner of your garage that you've been using ;).

On amounts, I think it very much depends on CaCl2 concentration, no?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »
John, I missed the joke, salt like pic? Enlighten me.

True about the concentrations but I'm assuming all the stuff for cheese is probably made by the same company. Plus on the package its says 6 oz. per 1000 lbs of milk maximum allowed by law for cheese making. So no matter the concentration of THIS bottle these are the correct amounts.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:06:13 PM »
Carter is obviously not a hunter.....

In the wild a deer lick is an exposed mineral deposit that is high in salt.  Deer will lick at the ground.
Commecially, deer Licks are a blocks of salt and minerals that deer need and want...

Deer licks are used to atract deer for hunting or just viewing.  They also play into a deer management program that one may be running.

There is a brand called Deer Coccaine.  Although i think now, for obvious marketing reasons, its just called DeerCane.
Google is awesome,  I looked and found a pic.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
No I don't hunt, but I know what a salt lick is. I still don't get the joke John was making.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »
Sorry Carter, from your OP I had vision of you chiselling a little bit of CACL2 salt off of an old salt cow lick which is in direct contradiction to the beautiful cheeses and equipment you make. OK so my jokes are poor compared to yours.

In fact last spring I was using some grungy 15 year old solid Russian Calcium Chloride I had in garage for making cheese and it also would not all dissolve. I posted a pic of it here in thread that you both also posted in.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 05:22:41 AM »
it's not that it was bad, I just didn't get it. I was making Farmhouse cheddar so I was a little manic.

the_stain

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
Unfortunately I have forgotten most, if not all, of my HS/College Chemistry... But according to a piece of software I have called CASC Solution Calculator, to create a 30% w/v CaCl2 solution, you would use 150g of pure CaCl2 in 500ml solution.  (400ml water, add 150g CaCl2, stir, then fill with water to the 500ml mark.) It seems that most of the cheesemaking shops sell 30% solution, but I bought mine at the local homebrewing/winemaking shop and it came as a powder so I've been curious about that.  Anyway, hope this is helpful to someone!

tina

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 04:04:41 AM »
I don't know if this question will be spotted or not... but I'm dealing with a powdered vs. liquid calcium chloride math problem. I have 1 oz. packet of powder that says 1 tsp. of calcium chloride per gallon adjusts water hardness by 297 ppm Ca2 + 531 Cl. Can anybody translate what that would be in fractions of teaspoons per gallon of milk (diluted in a small amount of water first). I don't have any spoons or scales that will allow me to measure in metric increments.  :-\   

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 04:46:39 AM »
Tina, please look at our previous discussion here http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2437

Make yourself a 30% solution, and then you can use it in all recipes :)

tina

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:41:26 AM »
Thanks for the response. Since I'd just as soon keep it in powder form and mix with water as needed, what was most useful from that lengthy discussion were replies #19 and #34, which were a little bit contradictory. Reply #19 said 1 tsp. per 4 gallons milk, but #34 stated 3/4 tsp. per 4 gallons. Which amount would be sufficient or adequate, or are there certain conditions under which you'd use the higher amount?

Thanks for your patience with a mathematics challenged cheese newb!