Author Topic: Cam  (Read 2701 times)

jerryg

Cam
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »
The PC white mold on my latest batch of camemberts is very uneven 10 days out, with pink (geo?) action showing through.
Is it possible or advisable to surface spray them now with more PC?

FRANCOIS

Re: Cam
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
Nope, sorry it's too late.  At 10 days out, with Geo on the rind, you won't get it to grow.  You'll have to dry them better next time and add a bit more salt.

jerryg

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
Nope, sorry it's too late.  At 10 days out, with Geo on the rind, you won't get it to grow.  You'll have to dry them better next time and add a bit more salt.

Darn. Thanks, will go with another batch this weekend.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:21:45 AM »
Oooh, sorry to hear about it Jerry. Give me a call when you are getting ready for the next one. Pink mold usually happens when the humidity is through the roof. Aim at 92%. Cams are a bit tricky in the first few batches but you will get it right very quickly, don't dispair

jerryg

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »
Un-fail. I just needed a little patience and another few days.
PC growth on my camemberts is overall now. Ready to pop into the fridge for aging.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:38:58 AM »
How old is it?  The problem with late PC growth is that it doesn't process the texture as well, but it may work.  Frankly I didn't think you could get much after the pink mold but good for you not giving up!  Photos?