Author Topic: Camembert Too Thick After Forming - OK To Slice Horizontally Into Two?  (Read 2751 times)

mspieg

I know this is a BIG no-no in theory, and I understand why, but  just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried halving a wheel of bloomy rind horizontally when it first comes out of the mold, if it's too tall? I have a camembert draining now but may have packed too many curds in there so it's definitely going to be taller than is ideal. The final wheel will be 6" diameter, probably 4.5" height, more like a tomme in format than a bloomy. You think it's better to let it age as a tall wheel, or take a chance and split it into two? Or will the cut surface irreparably harm the integrity of the wheel? I realize it won't produce a winning wheel either way, but am wondering if a decent aging of a split wheel will be better than the tall wheel never developing properly at all.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Camembert Too Thick After Forming - OK To Slice Horizontally Into Two?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
I've seen a Taleggio of mine fail to properly develop rind after cutting. I have also observed one of my Reblochons begin to regrow Geo over a cut surface within a short time. So that presents two eventualities upon cutting.

IMHO, if it were me, I would elect to go ahead and cut and mist the cut surfaces with a bloomy light brine. Camembert needs to develop from the outside towards the center. With a height of 4.5 inches, the outside would be ready and the inside might never get there.

Make a note for your next make to split the curds at moulding time so that they are proper thickness so you needn't consider cutting.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
Why do you think this is undesirable?

mspieg

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
My impression was that the curds on the outside of the wheel knit together to form a protective rind, differently from how the rinds on the inside knit, so if you cut it in half, the cut surface wouldnt have the same knitting as the uncut exteriors. I've never actually tried it though, which is why I was curious about other's experiences.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
the mold forms a protective rind in a bloomy style. There is a slight moisture gradient in a cam after the make due to the salt/brine, but ideally, this should be minimal.

In practice, it doesn't make much difference whether you cut or demold, provided that the inoculation and geo-> candidum cascade works on schedule. And of course, cut before salting/brining.

mspieg

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
Thanks Linuxboy! I will give it a try and see what happens. And of course, as Boofer notes, next time make sure my curd-per-mold allocation is better calculated.

cheers

bbracken677

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »
Rule of thumb: Your cams, once fully drained, should be approximately 1/3 the height of the original curd stack in the form.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »
I have worked in two commercial oeprations that make cams in long cylinders and just slice to the desired thickness upon demoulding.  It saves loads of time over block moulds.  We've never had an issue growing mouldon the cut faces.