Author Topic: Cleaning and Sterilising Equipment  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Cleaning and Sterilising Equipment
« on: October 26, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
Can anyone recommend a product to sanitise equipment (rather than surfaces) in the UK, that EH are going to be happy with, and that I can buy in a small enough quantity for home use?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:06:43 PM by Lloyd »

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
Re: Cleaning and Sterilising Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »
You say 'other than surfaces', so I am not sure what you mean.  Any utensils and equipment that you sanitize is a surface treatment.  If you are talking about that, boiling for 10 minutes in water, soaking briefly (once completely clean) in a hot water + bleach (4 liters water + 15 ml bleach) will work.  Bleach, however, does not work whenever organic matter is present.  I generally put my utensils and equipment that will fit through a cycle in the dishwasher, but if I need a quick surface sanitizer that is food safe, I use StarSan.  It is a liquid product that is USDA-approved for dairy and food equipment, does not need rinsing off, and is very cheap.
A product that is food safe for application to foods itself is Natamax, with variations depending on use. http://www.danisco.com/product-range/antimicrobials/natamax/
Again, cheap to use.
A good overview of sanitizer types (not specific to food uses, however) can be found at
www.sheltermedicine.com/library/resources/sanitation-in-animal-shelters

If you are following milk sanitation protocols common for dairies here in the US, you may find the other attachments useful--they are from different universities here.

cheers!
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
Thanks for the response, though I am particularly interested in the UK market.  EHOs can be a funny bunch, and vary from area to area, so I'm keen to know what they see as acceptable.   I could ask my local one, but at the moment I know as much or even more than they do (! - I'm not in a cheese producing area).  When I say surface, I'm mean a work-surface etc. that can be sprayed with a product, left for a defined time and then wiped off.  I don't believe those products are suitable for, say, moulds, or ladles.

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »
Either a bleach rinse or StarSan is good for moulds and ladles also
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

dc-k

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:17:17 PM »
I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0190LSSE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which works well for me. The tub is about the size of a 1 litre carton and I use a few teaspoons for my large pan and just stick the utensils in it.

Thewitt

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »
Vinegar will kill other surface molds on surfaces including hands.