Author Topic: Where do you get your milk from?  (Read 20458 times)

dansta

Re: Where do you get your milk from?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »
How did the cheese turn out in the end SwiftPint? I'm in London and started making my own cheese about a year ago with mixed success.  I'd be interested to see how your getting on with it.

Salilah

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
More thoughts on milk:

London - Borough Market - raw milk, but it's £3 per litre, which makes it very expensive!

Tesco have their own equivalent of the Jersey Gold top

Waitrose I think ditto - they also do Duchy Organics (think this is homogenised) - also expensive

I tried Daylesford (?) 500ml organic whole milk - plastic bags not cartons - from Waitrose / Ocado - however this try didn't work too well, 2.5L only gave one camembert not two, but it could well have been me!!

Any others?  You can buy raw milk from the farmer's gate (!) but in East Anglia there's not a lot of dairy!

Dibbs

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »
I've bought raw milk from the guys who make the excellent Lincolnshire Poacher cheese at a farmers market in Leeds. 

http://www.lincolnshirepoachercheese.com/products/

I see from their web site that they also do a couple of farmers markets in London.  You can pre-order online if you want a lot.  I had a chat to the guy on the stall and he said they have quite a few amateur cheesemakers buy milk from them. 

http://www.lincolnshirepoachercheese.com/markets-and-events/

I think they were charging £1.20 per litre.  Maybe a bit more but certainly nowhere near the Borough Market £3 rip off.

Salilah

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll see which I can get to...
cheers
S

Dibbs

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll see which I can get to...
cheers
S

Get some of their cheese while you're there too.  It's excellent, although the three year old Knuckleduster is not for the faint hearted.  It has the strap line on the label "Go on, if you think you're hard enough" so you can probably imagine.

Dibbs

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »
I think they were charging £1.20 per litre.  Maybe a bit more but certainly nowhere near the Borough Market £3 rip off.

Actually it is £1.40 per litre.  I got some more last weekend.

klschnepp

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
I just posted on this recently, glad to see more cheese people in London!  We are actually pretty darn lucky.  You can get pasteurised, non-homogenised milk at most major grocery stores, just check out the labels carefully.   I used to use Calon Wen a lot (buy from Ocado).  Waitrose has their own brand of this kind of milk (just read labels carefully regarding homog.--some that you might think are not actually are!!).  There is also one at Sainsbury's and even Tesco.   The going rate is about £1/litre.  We don't have the same problems as the USA with ultra high temp pasteurisation being a norm.   

Jersey cows have very high fat content, it is actually too high for the cheese I mainly make!!!   So, just something to keep in mind as you are looking at recipes.

Raw milk is becoming more available and most farmers markets have it.  Hook & Sons is the £3 one.  The rest are usually around £1.50.   

Hope this helps!

SpargePervert

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 01:47:46 PM »
How did the cheese turn out in the end SwiftPint? I'm in London and started making my own cheese about a year ago with mixed success.  I'd be interested to see how your getting on with it.

Sorry for the long time to reply! 
The cheese didn't turn out well at all,  but I think that was due to poor conditions in the cheese cave - too warm and too wet.
Now that I have a dedicated fridge to use as a cave I'm back on the forum and going to give it a new try.

More thoughts on milk:

London - Borough Market - raw milk, but it's £3 per litre, which makes it very expensive!

Tesco have their own equivalent of the Jersey Gold top

Waitrose I think ditto - they also do Duchy Organics (think this is homogenised) - also expensive

I tried Daylesford (?) 500ml organic whole milk - plastic bags not cartons - from Waitrose / Ocado - however this try didn't work too well, 2.5L only gave one camembert not two, but it could well have been me!!

Any others?  You can buy raw milk from the farmer's gate (!) but in East Anglia there's not a lot of dairy!

I've just started a batch using 5 litres of the Jersey Gold top.  Its still £1 a litre in Tesco, so not too bad, same price as Tesco's equivalent (probably the same stuff?)
There a stall at the Sunday market in Blackheath that sells raw milk, I think it's straight from their farm in Kent.  I cant remember how expensive it was but certainly cheaper than Borough Market, but not as good as £1.20 a litre!

I've made a couple of batches of hallumi, and I've just used normal tesco whole milk for that & it's come out fine.  For anything aged I'd want to use better quality milk, I reckon.

Good to see some more cheesemakes from the UK & London.   ;)

dc-k

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
More thoughts on milk:

Waitrose Duchy is not homogenised, in the large containers you get 4 pints or 2.27 litres for under £2 which I reckon is fine. I've used this and find it yields well. I am also fortunate enough to live within reasonable distance of a farm that sells raw milk at £2 for 2 litre, I find the flavour of the raw preferable.