Author Topic: ossau iraty cheese make recipe  (Read 3868 times)

Jeff Simpkins

ossau iraty cheese make recipe
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:39:57 AM »
We make a variety of raw sheep milk cheeses and would like to try making Ossau Iraty if anyone has a good make recipe.  Something close to an authentic French make.  Thanks

linuxboy

Re: ossau iraty cheese make recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:30:37 AM »
My tomme, uncooked, 90F, makes ossau iraty when done with sheep milk. Do you need culture blends and affinage notes?

Jeff Simpkins

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
Wow thanks for responding!  Any information on culture blends and affinage notes would be great!  Where would I find your Tomme make sheet?  Is it on the web site here?  Thanks again,,,Jeff

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »
Or on here in the tomme thread. Ossau Iraty actually uses 4001 if using cultures in the Danisco line, or a similar blend from another producer, when a starter is used. Some producers also add in rhamnosus, which would be something like LC 80 in Danisco's line. And some makers actually cook their ossau iratys, so it's not always uncooked. But the basis for all of them is a classic tomme approach. The flavor after that is due to terroir.

The affinage also differs according to the maker. Most will brush back the rind and let it go for the 120 days required by PDO. Some will apply a light brine wash using a flora blend such as PLA, or just the wash. Classic parameters, 85-90% RH, and ~50F.

Jeff, I think you already make a tomme, right? If you're looking for some flavor differentiation and raw milk isn't doing it for you, you have three basic options 1) new culture cocktail 2) new moisture profile 3) New rind profile. For the first one, it depends which way you want to go with the flavor balance. I can suggest some that should work. For the second, pretty easy to do, match up the moisture with affinage. And for the rind, should be straightforward by using different culture blends or making your own.