Author Topic: Will you share photos of your caves? and Mini-cave techniques?  (Read 66443 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Will you share photos of your caves? and Mini-cave techniques?
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:15 AM »
Update. 

Cave is up and running.  This was a root cellar in really lousy shape - black mold and rotted wood everywhere.  After a thorough cleaning, a slapdash job with R10 rigid board insulation, foam, and exterior enamel, 2 coats; floor in deck and patio sealing paint, again 2 coats; caulked all seams, and ceiling insulated with faced fiberglass batting, and 1" rigid board.  Back poured concrete wall, only a double coat of white wash.  I had an issue with moisture leakage, originally, but believe it's now well-sealed, top to bottom (function, not beauty - those foam globs, "eh.")

Temp controlled with the coolbot.  Performs brilliantly.  With a room at only 216 c.f., the AC of 14200 BTU is way over the top, but that was by design, really - with the opening and closing the door in such a small space without a kind of transition zone, this sizing means I get back to 51F within 60 seconds or so.  And especially given the insulation, the compressor really doesn't run all that frequently. 

Humidity is controlled via a 120 VAC PID controller, which I've simply wired to a plug in which I've two ultrasonic humidifiers (Crane "Teardrop"), which really pour the fog on, as needed.  Now that I've got the controller, I've halved my RO water usage, which is the only real drag to using these humidifiers.  But I didn't get very good results using my existing, 4 gallon Graco evaporative humidifer. 

Anyway, cave runs at 51F, with RH between 92-94F (there are some zones, which oddly started today....I switched the cheeses to a new shelf as I do have some mild black mold spots on the top shelf, and the affected shelf was taken outside for a boiling water, salt scrub, sunshine bath.  This upper zone now reads 85F, but I wonder if it will even out overnight.  92-94% everywhere else.  I don't really mind, however, as it's nice to have a shelf with this lower RH, and it is also a kind of sacrificial shelf, in case I get some ceiling condensity (so far, after a few weeks, no condensation anywhere, knock on wood).

The last phase before I can really kick into my desired gear is the completion of a true alpine, screw-style cheese press.  It will handle my Abondance form of 20", and I'll be doing 20 gallon vats soon.  I hope to have it finished over the next couple of weeks, as I'd really like to capture the last of the summer milk.  I use rennet paste currently, but am working with my French supplier to get dried veal vells.  I use a twin temp incubation whey starter, thanks to Pav, Alp, and Jim Wallace of New England Cheesemaking Co. for helping quite a bit in informing my thoughts here.  I also use a very small percentage of Alp-D.  (This is for my Abondance-form cheese).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:05:17 AM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2014, 03:04:37 AM »
Wow! That is some awesome work, Paul! Inspiring!

A cheese for you!  :)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2014, 03:09:45 AM »
Thanks Eric!  Now it's time to kick back the black mold I'm sure is just salivating, so loading those shelves is first priority! (Those are some rebs working, and there's a 6# alpine style there as well.  Going to be loading up with a lot of alpines, lots of Beaufort rind morge washes, etc.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks again buddy. :)
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
Great job Paul and thanks for update.  Please keep them coming (esp. if there are cheese pics included ;).

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2014, 01:04:10 AM »
Can one have Cave envy ?? If so I do :.  Excellent cave Paul.  Well, after a couple of hours with the router and chisel, I have finally removed all the silly bottle holders and thin little sheets from my Mk1 cave.  Now have fully dressed pine shelves, Psychrometer, (fan is coming) and the cheeses already look happier.  Treated the boards with Bleach solution, vinegar and sunshine before shelving. 
With plenty of room.. The bottom shelf can be reconfigured for short term stayers like Brining or a stack of Cams.  Room for 7 -10 more - better get cracking..

CheeseOn  8)

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Very cool, Ozzie, and cheeses look promising.  Cheese to you!  Happy makes!
- Paul

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2014, 02:33:56 AM »
Saturday . . . . I'm stuck for choice.   Something new I think...SOmething to make use of all that lovely wood,  Any suggestions ??
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
Reblochon, Mal.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Spoons

« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2014, 04:43:19 AM »
Nice work on the shelves, Mal! I woudn't be surprised that the RH% would be a little higher with so much wood in such little space. Another benefit for wood shelves.

A cheese for you  :) Well deserved!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2014, 06:31:02 AM »
@Boofer - a stinky - I'll have to get some more cultures - and warn my wife - but it sounds interesting. 
@Spoons - I have already noticed an inprovement, without the fan.  which makes Boofers suggestion possible - it wasn't before :)

-- Mal

Fundy Mental

« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2014, 12:38:23 AM »
Mal

you used dressed pine for your shelves. Raw pine? Did you source from Bunnings or similar?

I think we have the same wine fridge / cheese cave as I also had the ice issue.

FM

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2014, 03:14:18 AM »
Yeah.. Solid pine planking from Bunnings cut to fit and rebated for the Shelf groove. Picked through to find the cleanest and knotless ones in the stack.  Then I washed them with a light bleach - rinsed - sun dried - washed with Vinegar - dried again.  Manic I know !!  Yeah the icing is bit of a issue.  If you have the same one, I'd also check the little evaporation container on the back of the fridge.  I had some really funky smells issing from the fridge space and the contents were gagworthy.  It now gets done weekly :)

-- Mal 

Fundy Mental

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2014, 01:30:59 AM »
this is my current setup. wine fridge with a cave cube and controller from John at Perfect Cheese.

Camembert in the plastic containers, a Caerphilly in the front and a cheddar behind that.

John@PC

« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2014, 12:25:54 AM »
Nice set up indeed and worth a cheese.  2 questions:  What size PVC pipe are you using and are you experiencing high humidity (saw the Ever-drys so just assuming).

LadyLiberty

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
where do you get the fluorescent light grids?