Author Topic: Thermoelectric vs Compressor Cooler  (Read 3102 times)

jerryg

Thermoelectric vs Compressor Cooler
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »
Any opinions on thermoelectric vs compressor type wine cooler for a home cheese cave?

bbracken677

Re: Thermoelectric vs Compressor Cooler
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
Thermoelectric sounds pretty cool and is the more modern approach, but at the same time more costly...I also do not know how reliable the newer ones are vs the standard compressor models. I am 59 years old, so I would go with the more traditional approach (compressor type) but at the same time realizing that I know very little about the thermoelectric wine coolers.

My only experience with thermoelectrics is their use as processor coolers...my experience was not a great one, but then again the application was new at the time. The thermo chip that would sit on the processor would produce a very cooled side to cool the processor, but produced more heat on the top side of the thermo chip. So I had to install additional fans to deal with the additional heat inside the case. My sense is that the thermoelectric wine coolers would generate more heat outside the cooler...but then again, I do not know that to be fact.

Tomer1

Re: Thermoelectric vs Compressor Cooler
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
If your ambient room temp doesnt exceed 20c in the summer than a thermoelectric will be fine.    They are very hard to service vs a compressor (which any fridge technician can service) unit when they break.