Author Topic: Aging Climate - Options > Small Containers  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Aging Climate - Options > Small Containers
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:01 AM »
My minicaves are plastic boxes by Rubbermaid, Sterilite, and others that I bought at Walmart and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I coined the term "minicave" because they function just like a miniature version of a cave, allowing tighter control over humidity around the cheese. That word is also shorter and easier to say than "ripening box".

Some folks have had to resort to a humidifier to add extra moisture to their cheese environment. Search on the forum for discussions about that.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 12:58:42 AM »
How do you raise humidity in a plastic box (I use Lock n Lock boxes)?  I've put wet paper towels, bowls of water, wet cloths, etc., inside and it hasn't done a thing.  I can't imagine a humidifier would affect the environment inside a box.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
Seems like you are doing everything that would increase the effective humidity inside the box. You have a wireless humidity sensor inside the box too?

Is there any condensation forming on the walls, floor, or ceiling of your box?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
No condensation that I can see.

It's not a wireless sensor.  The sensor is attached to the device, which sits outside the box.  The wire is about 4 feet long, so can go inside the box, inside the refrigerator, and I can see the temperature/humidity readings from outside.  I'm starting to wonder if the device is faulty, but the lack of condensation makes me think not.