Author Topic: Glass Doors  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
Glass Doors
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
At the advice the of the forum, I'm starting a new topic instead of posting to a > 100 day post.

Anyway, in an older thread it was mentioned that people using pop/soda fridges needed to block off the glass door and sides.  Why?

If it's just for light reasons would it be necessary if the fridge is in a basement with no/little light?

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Glass Doors
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:16:04 AM »
Ok, I guess after 33 views and no replies, it appears there's no good reason to block off the glass doors and side panels of a soda fridge. I guess I've leave them open and see what happens.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »
light will break down annatto and cause it to turn pink. There's other oxidation that happens at the surface. Should not affect cheese beyond the surface.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »
You obviously want to get it air tight to conserve energy (prevent enterance of heat), I dont think light is an issue.

margaretsmall

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:35:57 AM »
Maybe there would be more heat loss through the glass.
Margaret

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »
Thank you all!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
Exposing cheese of any kind to direct sunlight is a bad idea.  Indirect may be ok, but it's still not desireable.  Two things will happen if cheeses are exposed to lots of lights, even artificial.  Firstly the UV spectrum will cause bleaching of rinds and any cut surfaces.  It looks generally un-appetising.  Secondly, if you are making any cheeses with mould on the rind, light will inhibit growth.