Author Topic: 1st Saint Marcellin  (Read 2835 times)

jbuczek

1st Saint Marcellin
« on: November 02, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

Pic shows one of the four rounds I made that have been in the cave at 55 F and RH 90%. I fear they may be too thick and frankly too bloomy. One of them, above, shows a hole or pit in the rind. Is this considered slipskin? And if so, is there a fix?

jbuczek

Re: 1st Saint Marcellin
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »

Same wheel above cut open at 14 days. I thought it tasted wonderful. Will be interesting to see how the paste on the other three change over the next few weeks. I will be opening them one at a time to get a good bead on how things ripen.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
It looks like slipskin where the outer layer ripens too fast.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

jbuczek

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:03:53 AM »
Yeah, not sure how to curb the slipskin but I will look into it for batch 2. In any case, this was a total win taste-wise. I just opened the second one three/four days later and it had changed so much. Funkier, better.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:38 AM »
Funk is good in music and cheese. (hygiene, not so much)

If the taste is good then the texture looks wonderful, I likes me a little oooozing. Why change it up next batch?

jbuczek

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
Thanks for the response. I opened the third one and no slipskin to speak of, the middle paste was tight and the ooze was gone. Love these little cheeses. I am wondering how to get them very soft and runny. Perhaps its just a matter of putting them in a crock and waiting another couple weeks. In any case I am going to do a second batch in the next week.

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Cheesemaking, Homebrewing Librarian in Queens, NY
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »
What recipe did you use? Thinking of starting a batch soon. I have Mary Karlin's recipe, but would be interested to hear others.
Melissa