Author Topic: seeking suggestions about aging mini Chaource style  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
seeking suggestions about aging mini Chaource style
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
Hello fellow cheesers,  I'm working on a project to create a little 1 serving cheese that is leap-wrapped and so I'm experimenting with a Chaource make but cutting them small.  (see attached photo)  I made tall cylinders and then cut them into discs and then in half to fit the leaves I'm using.  (photo of finished product below also)
My questions are, given this small size  (and yes, I know will continue to shrink, not sure how much)
how should they be aged,
at what temps and humidity
and when should they be wrapped?
And once wrapped with leaves, what should I do with them then until they are eaten? and for how long?
Yes, I know I'll have to experiment but if I can narrow my needed experimenting down from a zillion possibilities to maybe 15 options I'd be very happy.    ;)

The wrapping leaves are redbud tree leaves and the "skewers" are the seed pods from a Stewartia tree.  The redbud leaves were soaked briefly in boiled water and then stored in brandy.  The test I've done so far created a cheese  (from a Valencay make) that had the aroma and the brandy and a nice flavor.  It was almost like smelling the brandy with my mouth.....sounds strange but it felt like that.

Geodyne

Re: seeking suggestions about aging mini Chaource style
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »
I've just turned this thread up while searching for something else, but I love the concept.

How did these turn out in the end, and what were your conclusions?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: seeking suggestions about aging mini Chaource style
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »
Wonderfully artistic, as always, Kathrin!

Seems like this thread dropped off the radar quickly. I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions. I've made Chaource only once and it was a larger one...without all the fancy finery. :D

What's the status of these little beauties?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.