Author Topic: Hiya from Canada  (Read 1373 times)

BeenJammin

Hiya from Canada
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »
Hello!

The name's BeenJammin' because usually when people ask me what I have been up to I always say "I've been jamming!" I'm 30, married and unfortunately have severe rheumatoid arthritis that can keep me house bound when it flairs up. I also have Celiac disease, so no wheat for me! I am a passionate reader and always want to learn, learn, learn! I cook, a lot, and love to make people happy with the food I prepare. I've only been making cheese for around a year, I'm much more adept at jam, marmalade, sauce and other jarred goods. I love to make foods that aren't "normally" made at home, and I LOVE the expression people get on their faces when you tell them you made it. I take "you can't make that at home" as a personal challenge. I like to dehydrate things...a lot! A four tray Excalibur dehydrator wasn't enough, I bought a 9 tray too. I could use another one truthfully. I've started to make candy, first few attempts have gone well!

I am a little bit of a prepper, gardener and artist. But mostly, I read and I cook. Mostly I read cookbooks, and then I cook. I love old cookbooks, especially M.K. Fisher's work. I have 4 bookcases filled with books....and still boxes of them sitting around. I re-read my favorite books like mad, once I finished one of my favorites...and I didn't want it to end so I flipped back to the beginning and started again. I like to cook the food from my favorite books.

I hate to waste food, I get cranky if my parents have us over for dinner and forget to save the turkey, beef, or chicken bones so I can make stock. I am always making new recipes from leftovers. As well as turning traditional recipes gluten free or tweaking them.

I have a beautiful little fur kid named Lute, who is a black and white Shi-Tzu and a wonderful wife.

I am also, at heart, a huge nerd. I love the SIMS3 and Pokemon, and comic books...although I don't read them like I used too. (too many books to get through!) I love anything handmade as well, and I am lucky enough to be friends with artists, one who specializes in drawing/painting and 3 glass blowers.

I'm the "weird daughter" in a rather "normal" family, my dad is a retired manager, my mom is a RN and my lil sis is a government worker (I don't hold that against her though) and my family is used to me doing things they find weird like shaving my head or suddenly going on a 24 hour hunger strike.

And, randomly I'll add, a non smoker for 4 years now!

bbrown131211

Re: Hiya from Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »
Welcome. I think you will find LOTS to read on the Cheese Forum. The pros are very generous in sharing their knowledge.

bbracken677

Re: Hiya from Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
Hiya BeenJ! Welcome to the forum...I 2nd bbrowns comment regarding lots to read and learn here!  Been here a few months and still hard at learning the craft. Am focused on cheddars and blues atm.

What cheeses have you made?