Author Topic: Alpine For You...Beaufort #5  (Read 9456 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Alpine For You...Beaufort #5
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 02:02:32 AM »
Hey Boofiest, nice looking rind!  Are you thinking that it will no longer be susceptible to molds because of the loving treatment it's gotten from you?  I have one going that is kind of this style although it's got an interesting color due to my make.  But it is staying nice and "smeary" and I hope it goes the way I wanted my others to go.....I hadn't learned enough before their make so I kind of failed them.  Do keep us posted on this rind please.   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 06:29:04 AM »
Seems like I've been trying to stay ahead of some spots. Here's a clue...the nubbins are like little antennas for errant molds. I may want to diminish those in future makes. My Beaufort #4 benefited from having a cream coating. I'm wondering if that's what I should do here as well. :-\

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Hi Boofer! 
There's two options I'd consider with a cheese that looks like this.  One option is to just keep rubbing/brushing it so the molds get kept in check and you end up with a cool natural rind.  The other option I'd think of is rubbing it with a white wine, water, salt mix to create a schmear and keep itso wet the molds can't live on it.  Of course, my experience is limited so I'm not thinking of the options of cream coating, etc.

I think it's a nice solid looking cheese and I look forward to seeing how it does as it ages!!   :D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
The other option I'd think of is rubbing it with a white wine, water, salt mix to create a schmear and keep itso wet the molds can't live on it.
I tried the schmear idea early on and I didn't like what it did to the rind. Then I had a sticky rind (linens) and I had to fight (and am still struggling) to dry the rind up.

From the outset I wanted this to have a hard, dry, natural rind much the same as my Beaufort #4 and my Tomme #4 had. That's what I'm working towards now.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:28 AM »
The rind seems more stable now. It had been a little sticky towards the center, but I washed again with brine and dried it last week. Rubbed it down today, but not much to rub down. Unless something strange happens between now and three months from now (mid-affinage), This one looks good to go the distance.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »
I cast a hard eye on this wheel and decided that today was The Day...for cutting at 4 months' affinage.

I originally had considered going out to 12 months or at least 6 months. I have been pleased with the results around 4-6 months and so decided that this would be decent enough. Then too, I had a slight stickiness on parts of the flat surfaces of the wheel from the linens.

The wheel was reasonably firm to cut as is the style. The paste looks just about right...enough moisture and elasticity to allow flexibility in a slice, but not excessively so. The first taste...I have to allow my tastebuds/palate to become accustomed to the smoothness or grittiness of the texture, to the first impression of the raw milk nuances in the flavor, and to the overall acceptability of this cheese and the time, effort, and money that went into making it. The texture is smooth, a complex creamy flavor from grass-fed cow milk, and a mouthfeel that is firm but easily dissolved.

I am well-pleased with the results of this effort. This cheese helps me to approach consistency in the Beaufort cheese style.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
SO pretty and yellowy colored!  Like spring daffodils!  How lovely.  I guess the stars were in a pattern that favored cutting into cheeses because I opened my washed curd #3 and I'll post about it sometime soon.n Congratulations on a successful cheese birth!  :)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
It looks and it sounds as if we have another Boofer success.
A well deserved cheese to you :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
The colour in that cheese is so warm and inviting, well done.  A cheese to you for such a wonderful outcome. 

- Jeff

george

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
The colour in that cheese is so warm and inviting, well done.
Yes, it is.  Boofer, can I come over?   ;D

tnbquilt

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »
...the nubbins are like little antennas for errant molds.
-Boofer-

If I press naked, I use a vegetable peeler to get rid of the little nubbins. I tried a knife but it was harder to control.

The cheese looks great. I've never had this kind of cheese, I might have to try it.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
Thanks, guys.

The colour in that cheese is so warm and inviting, well done.
Yes, it is.  Boofer, can I come over?   ;D
By all means...come out of the cold. I'll throw a few chunks of Beaufort out to warm your cockles. ;)

...the nubbins are like little antennas for errant molds.
-Boofer-

If I press naked, I use a vegetable peeler to get rid of the little nubbins. I tried a knife but it was harder to control.

The cheese looks great. I've never had this kind of cheese, I might have to try it.
In the end, not so much a problem. Early on, I used to shave off nubbins, but then I grew to accept them. Now we all get along just fine. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

High Altitude

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
I am SO impressed!  Very interesting to hear about your rind development efforts, and to see the stages.  I am still so wary of any molds whatsoever, being so new in the cheese game.  I fear that with my very first cheese made (gruyere) I have literally creamated what should have become a nice natural rind.  The (not sure I can still call it) cheese has worn down with all my brushing to keep the browns and pinks at bay, and it is now rather firm, smooth, and still fairly white even at 6 weeks of aging.  I hope that when it's finally ready I can at least use it as a grating cheese.

You are a strong beacon in the our cheese world Boofer!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »
Glad to be of service. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!