Author Topic: My Port Salut quickie  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
My Port Salut quickie
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
This is a cheese that happened because the milk I had was quickly approaching the pulldate and I didn't want it to just sit there in the fridge until it went bad.

I developed it and washed it with some Vouvray wine I had left over from my Fourme d'Ambert. The linens had pretty much gone crazy before the wine washing because I had washed with SR3 & brine. I discovered that along with infusing wine character when I washed the cheese, I could also remove the linens as I did that. The linens continued to grow afterwards until the next time when I washed it off again. Some linens clung to the crevices. That's okay...not going to be that neat about clearing it from the cheese.

I washed with wine & salt every other day for a month.

Last night I decided I would try one of the little cheeses. The washing had been done earlier in the morning so the rind was pretty clear of linens. It slices well, texture looks good, smells a bit because of the linens, has a little saltiness but not overly so. Nice little cheese.  :)

And an added bonus: for those of you who enjoy seeing the blue gloves...here they are!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

Re: My Port Salut quickie
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
Awfully nice for almost a throwaway cheese, huh?  Don't you love it when that happens?   :)

And what wonderful memories you've reinstituted with just a couple of little cheeses!  The Michelin Man AND little cheese bellies to pat!  What could be better than that?   A)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »
You have to know what your audience likes. 8) I'm here to serve.

It was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Nice.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

LoftyNotions

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
I was getting concerned that the blue glove makers had lost one of their best customers.  ;)

Your cheese looks very similar to your target. How does the taste compare? Does much of the wine flavor come through?

They do have cute little cheese bellies. I assume the molds are slightly smaller than the Reblochons?

Well done.

Larry

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »
The forms are mini-Tomme moulds @ 4.375 inches and 450 grams. The Reblochons are 5.3 inches by 2.6 inches and 450 grams. Short & squat (Reb) versus slightly taller and narrower (mini-Tomme).

Looks are similar, but I've only tasted Port Salut once. I've made several Danish versions of Port Salut which is Esrom. This is slightly similar to that. I didn't taste much of a wine character. It was pretty late last night. I'll resample it in the light of day.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!