Author Topic: Brie hoop vs. beaker mold  (Read 21887 times)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Brie hoop vs. beaker mold
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
A quick question...

So CHEJ is simply a self assembled group with no scientific or government regulation/backing and can make any claims they wish without any peer reviewed articles that I could find?

Just asking.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:03:59 AM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »
My big question is whether there are phthalates in cheese molds such as those made from "dairythene" or whatever that name is.  I do try hard to avoid exposure although don't spend a lot of worry...just do my best to make decisions that limit my exposure to endocrine disrupting compounds, knowing full well there's no way to really avoid them.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
I think the bottom line here is that, if you don't know what is in the material, you probably should not use it for food.  I would especially apply this to anything acidic or heated, such as cheese curd.  I'll stick to stainless steel and Dairylene molds.  You guys do whatever you like.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:18:00 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 06:28:16 AM »

Very cool, 
Botany is a really neat discipline. Part of why I asked is I am acquainted with some botanists up at UC Davis.

Who would they be mightyMouse?  I see you are in Calif too--whereabouts?
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
My big question is whether there are phthalates in cheese molds such as those made from "dairythene" or whatever that name is.  I do try hard to avoid exposure although don't spend a lot of worry...just do my best to make decisions that limit my exposure to endocrine disrupting compounds, knowing full well there's no way to really avoid them.

Tiarella, from the little bit of 'research' I've done on this subject because of this topic, I see that Europe and the US are pretty much the toughest on the standards (now don't get crazy on me, any of you folks from Down Under, just because I didn't mention you--I have only had a quick look-see and that didn't turn up anything from NZ or Oz--both of which I LOVE!).  Some of the links I gave show how bad much of Asia can be (no, I'm not beating anyone up here, folks, just citing what I found).

The molds from places like France are probably among the safest, just because the EU is actually much tougher, in general, that the US is for chemicals used in crops, science applications, drugs, etc.  There are lots of ag chemicals we use here that the EU no longer allows.
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 07:27:59 AM »

I see that Europe and the US are pretty much the toughest on the standards (now don't get crazy on me, any of you folks from Down Under, just because I didn't mention you--I have only had a quick look-see and that didn't turn up anything from NZ or Oz--both of which I LOVE!).  Some of the links I gave show how bad much of Asia can be (no, I'm not beating anyone up here, folks, just citing what I found).

The molds from places like France are probably among the safest, just because the EU is actually much tougher, in general, that the US is for chemicals used in crops, science applications, drugs, etc.  There are lots of ag chemicals we use here that the EU no longer allows.

I actually looked at making a 6 1/2" mold from pvc and found it was just as cheap to buy a "proper" mold from my local home-brew shop without the hassle of drilling all those holes.
I am glad he is a little out of my as I now have the 6 1/5" I used for my Jarlsberg and Cheddar, a 5" (which I haven't used but I saw it and liked it's dimensions) and a Ricotta basket and cup.
My last visit there he said "here comes my best cheese-making customer"
-Bill

colinjfrost

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 04:12:54 AM »
Does anyone know where i can get a traditional 3 part coulommierr hold in australia

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 06:05:09 AM »
Does anyone know where i can get a traditional 3 part coulommierr hold in australia

I would ask http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/pages/Maitland.html

I don't know anyone else locally carrying any cheesemaking equipment.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
-Bill