Author Topic: The use of notes, or "How I messed up my second Reblochon".  (Read 12402 times)

LoftyNotions

Re: The use of notes, or "How I messed up my second Reblochon".
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
That's beautiful, Herman! A cheese for a beautiful cheese.

I hope to get color like that on one of mine someday. :)

Larry

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »
Tonight we have a party at one of our neighbours and they want me to bring .... cheese (Duh!)
So I took a brave step and cut my first Reblochon. Smell is not overwhelming but recognizable. Body is starting to get gooey.
And the taste: euhh, well, like Reblochon?
At the background a 3 months old Gouda with Greek herbs, one of my favorites. Is also going to be a victim of tonight...

Oh my gosh, that's SO beautiful!!!!  Another cheese to you.  I wouldn't say your Gouda with herbs is being a victim but rather a celebrated guest and star attraction!!!  But I know what you mean.....I'm trying to decide whether to open up my leafed round for Thanksgiving feast.  I don't know when it will be best flavored and it's so beautiful being a full round that it feels like a shame to open it.  decisions, decisions!

hoeklijn

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »
Thanks Lofty! About the color: I just followed the "Iratherfly manual": First two weeks wash the tops, flip them next day and wash the tops, but second week I only washed once.

I don't know when it will be best flavored and it's so beautiful being a full round that it feels like a shame to open it.  decisions, decisions!

Thanks Tiarella!. Well, I'm lucky to have still another 5 Rebs waiting for me and at least one has to survive until Christmas.
When the party was over yesterday evening all Reblochon was gone (they loved it and the smell was absolutely less then during the washing period) and a small part of the Gouda was left over.
Besides that I have lent my "Tim Smith" to one of the neighbours. She is a teacher and is thinking about buying a starter set to teach the children about making cheese.....

bbracken677

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »

Oh my gosh, that's SO beautiful!!!!  Another cheese to you.  I wouldn't say your Gouda with herbs is being a victim but rather a celebrated guest and star attraction!!!  But I know what you mean.....I'm trying to decide whether to open up my leafed round for Thanksgiving feast.  I don't know when it will be best flavored and it's so beautiful being a full round that it feels like a shame to open it.  decisions, decisions!

You could always just set it out with the other cheeses (uncut) as a sort of ornamental......a centerpiece, sort of

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »
That's a great looking cheese, so a cheese to you for it!  Glad to hear it was well received as well.  The gouda appears to have been a treat too.  Nice job all round then.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »
Let me add my kudos to you, Herman. Excellent work! Looks really yummy. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »

You could always just set it out with the other cheeses (uncut) as a sort of ornamental......a centerpiece, sort of

Well, I did it!  I opened three cheeses so I could take wedges to a friend's house for dinner.  Posted photos in the "what are you eating for Christmas" thread in the Lounge.  It was hard to decide to cut them open but really fun to see what they'd become once I'd made the decision.  I vac bagged most of them to age a bit further. 

Now I have room for more cheeses in my wine fridge so I have to get busy.   ;D