Author Topic: DCU  (Read 10504 times)

velward

DCU
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:03:24 PM »
I just purchased cultures from Dairy Connection and I see X20 DCU and X50 DCU and X2 Dose on the packages, what does this mean? I know it may be a dumb question, but how am I going to learn if I don't ask right?

linuxboy

Re: DCU
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »
a DCU is a unit of measure for a specific number of bacteria. It is to be used in combination with the manufacturer recommendations in rehydrating the culture, and inoculating to equal a starter concentration that was used traditionally as a percentage by weight. For example, old make details called from 1-2.5% starter inoculation. That starter amount had a specific number of live bacteria. The DCU idea is to use a much smaller amount to equal the same number of bacteria. I talk about this at more length here

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,3752.msg29347.html#msg29347

You use your make guidelines to know how many units to add per 100 lbs of milk.

The dosage for the x2 I presume if for mold? There, too, you follow manufacturer guidelines. They will specify something like 10 doses for 1,000 liters, or something similar. Ask Dairy Connection for the recommended manufacturer rates.

velward

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »
I believe that there were recommendations on the order page. Thanks. Just starting to understand a little.

cheesymoroccan

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »
hi everybody  i'v the same problem please 1 DCU  or 1 D how much is it in grams or lb pleaaase help

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:40:51 PM »
I already provided the answer. Not sure what more you need?