Author Topic: Measuring acidity. WITHOUT using pH  (Read 10952 times)

rosawoodsii

Re: Measuring acidity. WITHOUT using pH
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »
The green/yellow color in whey is caused by Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) and other B vitamins that are pulled out of the calcium matrix and remain in suspension in the whey. I have several thoroughbred horse farms that use my whey as a feed supplement for race horses, in large part because of the B vitamins. The water soluble vitamins are much more readily available for nutritional uptake than the dried powder whey.

We should all drink more whey. ;)

Is the whey dried, Sailor? Or whole, liquid whey from your cheesemaking? 

We should drink more whey?  I'm glad I have critters to feed it to, because I can't stomach the taste.  Yech!

bbracken677

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »

We should drink more whey?  I'm glad I have critters to feed it to, because I can't stomach the taste.  Yech!

I hear it's pretty good in a smoothy, although I haven't tried it that way.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »

I hear it's pretty good in a smoothy, although I haven't tried it that way.

Tomer1

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
We should all drink more whey. ;)
I use whey from early drained cheeses (still containing alot of sugar, not very acidic) instead of water to brew coffee or "chocolate "whey". 
Its extremly tastey and have alot fuller body to it from all the milk solids.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 03:04:02 AM »
The beverage I showed is a very popular drink in Switzerland. It is a whey-based soft drink, 35% whey by volume with carbonated water and a number of secret spices. Most foreigners hate it.
But since dairy is a central part of Swiss culture, people are accustomed to whey.

On the Alps (the farms) people will draw cups of whey from the vat to drink. It's good, and healthy.

Also whey is very good for your skin (maybe those b vitamins again?) and some people even bath in it.

The whey dawn from Alpine cheeses is flavorful and fairly sweet.