Author Topic: Love those baby blues!  (Read 4665 times)

george

Re: Love those baby blues!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »
And someone else recommended using the back of a spoon....

-Boofer-
It goes faster with the knife - more surface area on the knife edge to cover more territory than the rounded area of the back of the spoon.  (Says the impatient one.)

bbracken677

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 01:01:55 PM »
Hi.  I need to know more about this smoothing business!  Do you do it as soon as it comes out of the hoop?  How do you do it?  Do you need to apply much pressure?  Thanks.  NV.

It's pretty easy! When you hoop your curds, reserve a few tablespoons of curd (I just put them in a ziplock in the fridge). That way, when you are ready to take your cheeses out of the hoops you have "spackle" to fill in all the nooks and crannies. I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and smush up a little of the curd between my fingers to get it soft and sticky and press it into the open spaces (it doesn't take much pressure). Once I've done that, I use a palette knife to smooth it all out (like frosting a cake). I've heard other people mention using a hot knife to smooth things out, but I've never tried it since my method works well for me. Hope this helps!

Most excellent suggestion!  Thank you!

Tiffany

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 03:54:09 AM »
where can I find the recipe.  I have been having a difficult time with my bc.  It all turns out with a creamy soft texture of camembert.  While its wonderful I would like something different.  They tend to be heavy and only grow surface mold as opposed to veining.  Yours looks wonderful!
Thanks
Tiffany

bbracken677

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
And here is the one I have been using.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Tiffany

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
Thanks fellas.  decided to use H-K-J's recipe.  just because I seen the pictures of how nice it turned out.  I do have a different meso to use so some minor changes. Using CHN22. 
also making it a 5 gallon batch.  I used 5 gallons of our raw jersey milk, and added 11/2 qts of our cream.  Probably didnt need to as we run about 30-40% cream on a gallon.  will see if its just too much.  Also didnt dilute the PR-PV over nite.  so may have some slower action.  I dont have a mold this size so DH is out right now getting a large PVC pipe to cut to a 6" mold.  Hoping its big nuff.  typically my blues are made in camembert size molds, and they ripen very fast and get very soft and gooie.  Not bad, but would like something just a TAD firmer.  also tend to be too heavy, sinking and not allowing air space for veining inside.  so will drain much longer today.  Hope I can get Most of it done early as I work 2nd shift.   :o still need to attempt a nap.  will be doing a large batch of Camemberts this week as well, preparing for Christmas.  well thats all.. will keep you posted.  Thanks again.
Tiffany

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »

linuxboy

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
I used 5 gallons of our raw jersey milk, and added 11/2 qts of our cream.
This is too much cream. For jersey milk right now, you might need to take cream out. What are your components right now?

Tiffany

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
thats what I was thinking as i added the extra cream.  its too late now.   :-X  its done and in the mold.  what will happen to the cheese if too much cream is added? 
I had great curd and ALLOT of it.  its in the mold now.  just put it in.  I usually DONT add extra cream to anything I do, but decided for once to follow the directions.  HAHAHAHA.. so much for that.  grin.  Live and learn.  I have 15 or so more gallons in there now, and another 6 will go in tonight.  so I will try again. 
Our last DHIA test was with 3 girls,
fat% was between 3.47-4.72
protein 3.10-3.93
lactose 4.85

this is all I get on my DHIA report.  other than scc count, which is not needed for this.