Author Topic: My First Fourme d'Ambert  (Read 2335 times)

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
My First Fourme d'Ambert
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
I didn't post my make but I made this using the 200 EZ recipe. The picture shows the paste a more yellow than it is. I'm not sure if it should have more blue marbling than it has but it tastes great to me. I also don't know about the texture. It is very creamy and soft and downright gooey just under the rind. I'm thinking that it either got cross-contaminated with geo, the PR I used was too fast growing and aggressive - maybe the wrong PR altogether - or, by luck, this is the way it was supposed to turn out. It had a fairly strong ammonia smell to it but I can't taste it in the paste at all (and I haven't tasted the rind.) But, all in all, I'm pretty pleased. As always, you're critiques are encouraged and I'm wondering what PR would be best for my next make.

Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

bbracken677

Re: My First Fourme d'Ambert
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »
The paste of a forme d' Ambert should be soft and creamy...I suspect the ammonia smell will dissipate (probably already has). Looks like you have a winner there!  I plan on making a forme d' ambert very soon (perhaps next week) and I hope to be as successful as you!
Personally, I prefer a blue that has that creamy texture along with a subtle, not overpowering, blue flavor. Yours looks perfect!

As long as you are pleased with the outcome...what else counts?   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
The paste of a forme d' Ambert should be soft and creamy...I suspect the ammonia smell will dissipate (probably already has). Looks like you have a winner there!  I plan on making a forme d' ambert very soon (perhaps next week) and I hope to be as successful as you!
Personally, I prefer a blue that has that creamy texture along with a subtle, not overpowering, blue flavor. Yours looks perfect!

As long as you are pleased with the outcome...what else counts?   :)
What he said....  ;)

Looks good to me too. How long from make to cutting?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
Only 46 days. I might have let it go a bit longer but the PR I used was said to be fast growing. The cheese is a bit hit with the fam. I hope I can duplicate it. This is one of those times I wonder if I just got lucky. I'm going to give it another go tonight.
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »
Congrats!  Nice job!  I hope to be starting one next week    :)

A cheese for you!