Author Topic: Mozzarella - Adding Banana Peppers & Juice  (Read 1507 times)

murmur

Mozzarella - Adding Banana Peppers & Juice
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
I want to add hand cut banana pepper rings and add some pepper juice to a mozzarella. Can I add it to the milk pre-rennet? or should I add it to the whey in the stretching stage?

My concern is how the brine from pepper rings will impact the acidity of the cheese and I do not want any dissolving curd issues.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:58:45 PM by murmur »

bbracken677

Re: Mozzarella - Adding Banana Peppers & Juice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
As part of the mozz make, do you add vinegar or citric acid?

If so (assuming your banana pepper brine is like vinegar) then add when you would add the acidifying agent and reduce the amount of agent to compensate prior to adding rennet (I believe).

murmur

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »
The first time I tried it, I just added brine pre-rennet and it would not stretch. No citric acid was added the first attempt- just the vinegar/pepper juice.

So I am wondering if I should add some to the drained whey and then heat it for the stretching. Or maybe a vinegar/citric acid mix pre rennet
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:14:17 PM by murmur »

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
Hmm...am not hugely familiar with mozz making, however one of the reasons for adding citric acid or vinegar is to reduce the pH which affects the ability of the rennet to coagulate the milk, as well as to bring the milk's (curd's) pH into a range where the cheese will be meltable (among other effects). I don't believe your cheese will stretch unless there is a certain amount of pH drop.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »
I would incorporate the peppers during streching period.   The juice might be added to the brine if your brining it.

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
Normally pepper juice is more vinegar than anything (assuming it has been canned/preserved). If you add it later, you are likely to wind up with a cheese that is way too acidic and will not melt.