Author Topic: my first gouda(used recipe from wacheese.com)  (Read 9207 times)

Mighty Mouse

Re: my first gouda(used recipe from wacheese.com)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »
That probe is not what you need for taking flat measurements - curd, finished cheese, etc.

Oh yeah, it might be problematic for taking curd measurments. I would suspect it could possibly be used for taking "incidental measurments"(could not think of a better term), I suppose it would depend on if there is a delay in measurement or some kind of hysteresis. One would have to check the datasheets I suppose.
I was thinking that it would be interesting to put the prob into the milk itself while culturing and coagulating the milk. It would give you a "live stream" so to speak and you could watch the pH change overtime. I think that would be incredibly interesting. Hmmm...... I did not see if there was a PC interface..... <Commence evil ideas...>

I still like my Extech though.

bbracken677

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
That probe is not what you need for taking flat measurements - curd, finished cheese, etc.

Why do you say that? I would have thought it would be ideal, but then I have no experience with that type of pH meter/monitor. The el-cheapo one I am using...which is similar to the ex-tech, but only one decimal place reading...has problems reading the pH of cheeses that are no longer sweating whey.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
You need a flat electrode, not the bulb type, for measuring flat surfaces.

bbracken677

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Isn't the extech a bulb type? 

What would you recommend for under $150?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
The Extech 100 or 110 has a flat probe, not a bulb shape. Under $150.

bbracken677

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
Hey thanks! 
The pictures I have seen are not too clear on that and looked much like the bulb type I currently have.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »
Hey thanks! 
The pictures I have seen are not too clear on that and looked much like the bulb type I currently have.

Yep, flat. I will post a picture of my probe when I get home tonight (If I do not forget....).

Red

Re: my first gouda(used recipe from wacheese.com) Tasting at 2 months
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 05:32:57 AM »
I was very patient and let my first Gouda age for 2 months.  I kept it in a wine fridge which stayed at 10C (50F) pretty steady for the first month, then after I had to adjust the temp, would go up to 12C before kicking in, so it cycled between 12C and 9C.  I flipped it every day for 6weeks, then every 2 or 3 days after that.

I opened it at a family dinner at my in-laws, and everyone agreed it was good!  Tastes like Gouda, and has about the right texture.  :-)
I was worried it might be too salty, as I brined  longer than recommended, but it's fine.

I'm a bit surprised at how good it is really.  Nothing spectacular, but at least as good as any mild Gouda I've bought.

There's a lot of small interior holes, some that look a bit like cracks, but I think it looks nice actually.  I assume it's just mechanical holes from improper pressing?

There's a tiny bit of white on the surface that kind of looks like mold, but there's no discernable taste or smell to it... salt? wax residue? 

I thought of re-waxing part of it to age longer, but I'm so pleased with it I've decided to just eat it all.

Waiting for the pH meter my wife ordered for Christmas, then I'll go for Gouda #2.

Red

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 05:35:13 AM »
It looks like my cheese also reversed the law of gravity.... not sure how that happened!

hoeklijn

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »
That's a fine looking Gouda, don't worry too much about some holes, the taste is the most important. A cheese to you for this result!