Author Topic: What type of cheese is this?  (Read 1983 times)

Akie

What type of cheese is this?
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
Hello great minds,

For all these years I have been eating Japanese French cheese bread - any type or shape but it is this particular type of cheese bread EVERYTIME got me wonder and curious. I just can't figure out what type of cheese it is. They would usually dice this cheese up and stuff it inside of breads or melt it on top of breads.. its pale yellow and it tastes SO wonderful... I can't really describe the taste other than it is my childhood..so I am attaching a couple of pictures to this thread and hoping you can help me figure out. ( Note: The first picture is really more like the type of cheese bread I eat on a daily base and the picture is clearer. ) I'd love to buy this cheese and make my own Japan French cheese breads. Please help me find my childhood! :-(

Thanks a lot!

Cheese Head

Re: What type of cheese is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:13:32 AM »
Akie, welcome to the forum, great initial post.

Wow, wonderful pictures, especially of the cheese bread!!!!

I have no clue on type of cheese, except that somewhat similarly when my family and I lived in Syria, on road to Beirut in Lebanon there was a road stop we and locals used to stop at that sold coffee/tea and a wonderful flat bread with 2-3 similar looking different lightly melted salty white cheeses on top and served cut in diamonds on paper. It was also wonderful.

On yours sadly I do not know, was it made/sold all across or just a certain area of Japan, while hard as your childhood, to help, can you describe the flavor in any way, salty, creamy, one cheese type or mixture of two?

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures and a reminder for my memories.

Captain Caprine

Re: What type of cheese is this?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:18:12 AM »
Akie,
Here is a link talking about a popular cheese bread in Japan that has Brazilian roots.
Recipe to try and replicate toward the bottom
CC
http://www.justhungry.com/very-easy-pao-de-queijo-brazilian-cheese-bread-japan