Author Topic: My first Camembert--a success  (Read 2409 times)

rosawoodsii

My first Camembert--a success
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:32:03 AM »
I made my first Camembert on October 4th.  I used Flora Danica for the culture, used just a gallon of raw goat milk and made only 2 cheeses.  I had a devil of a time trying to keep the humidity high enough and the temperature low enough, but after futzing around with various containers and locations, I finally just put them in plastic Ziplock bags and left them in the refrigerator, turning them every day. 

This was what they looked like when I finished salting them.

I've read conflicting advice about how long to age, going from 3 weeks to 7 or 8 weeks.  Today I opened up the bags and took a look.  One smelled a bit like ammonia. Not overpowering, but faintly.  The other smelled divine.  I decided to leave them out to come to room temperature to see if the ammonia smell dispelled.  After an hour, my curiosity got the best of me and I sliced into the ammoniated one.  It didn't taste half bad!  In fact, it tasted pretty good, and it looked to be ripening well.  I don't like Camembert when it gets runny and strong, so this was just right:  the outside was soft and pliable, the middle firm.

I wondered about the second one.  As I put it down, I noticed that it, too, was getting soft on the outside.  A small piece was hanging off, so I picked it off and tried it.  This one is even better.  It looks like I picked exactly the right time to try the cheeses.

Tomorrow I'm having lunch with some friends.  We're all supposed to bring something to go with the salad.  I think I'll bring feta--and Camembert.

bbracken677

Re: My first Camembert--a success
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »
Congratulations! Nice looking cams!  Not an easy cheese to make, yet a fun one for sure   :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »
Hi,

Those look really good.  The paste on the cut one looks like it's almost ripened right to the centre.  I would put the other one back in the fridge (in a tupperware type box, with the lid closed or just slightly ajar) for another week or two.  That will give you time to finish the first one and let the 2nd ripen all the way in.  A cheese to you for your success.

- Jeff

rosawoodsii

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:35:44 AM »
Too late, Jeff. They were both scarfed down at lunch today.  However, I just happen to have made two more yesterday and will try them one at a time when they ripen.  ;D

george

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »
Too late, Jeff. They were both scarfed down at lunch today.
  That's the spirit!!   :D

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
Too late, Jeff. They were both scarfed down at lunch today. 

That, of course, was the other right option! :)

- Jeff

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
lol

My first attempt at cam was way too runny! So we had to eat them quickly.
Great taste and I figured out where I went wrong. So second batch was made last weekend.  :)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...